s_feehan, Computer Repairer
Experience:  11 years of repair, 3+ in a professional setting

Q200e laptop charges battery intermittently (a few times a

Customer Question

Q200e laptop charges battery intermittently (a few times a steady orange light appears, but most of the time it starts blinking and then the charge indicator light turns off). When I disconnect the battery, the laptop does not run on AC power (no response). This is a relatively new problem (months) after 2 years of reliable service.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

We will have to do a little bit of troubleshooting and this may or may not resolve the issue, but we need to

rule things out step by step:

First, go to this page. Click BIOS. In that drop down menu, select the FIRST one.

This MUST be done with the battery and power cord in and battery needs to be recognized.

Then go here:

this is what you are looking for to download:

BIOS 200 (X202EV)
Support hotkeys “Fn+D” and “Fn+F8” and switch display.

Notice:Please check in the BIOS setup for the correct BIOS file name of your Notebook PC. Please refer to FAQ:
BIOS Name of Notebook PC

click the global blue link. Download, unzip and install to run this update.

Bios are very critical to tamper with so if you need me to remote in, i am going to send the offer. If you feel confident yourself,

that is fine as well. We will go from there.

Friendly reminder....

If you would like to have a more hands on support through Secure Remote Assistance, I will send you an offer and I will be able

to log in and perform the fix for you. We offer this as an easier solution for clients. It is 100% guaranteed

money back if we cannot resolve your issue.

If you would like to continue with written instructions, that is absolutely fine as well. Just click the reject when you see the

offer and we will continue immediately in this manner going forward.

Were you able to download the bios update?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Your response reads "go to this page" but no link is listed to download the BIOS

My apologies, it sent you to the direct page, not the subpage i sent.

Once on that page, click the OS

Select your OS (like windows 8, 8.1 or other)

then it will show you the BIOS to choose from

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The download is a X202EVAS200.CAP file. How do I get it to execute/install?

It should have been zipped file. you should save it to your desktop and unzip, install it from there if you can.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was a zip file that contained the CAP file

I am not sure what programs you have to open it. I am going to open this up to another expert to help you.

I cannot see without a remote session. If it is not the bios, it will most likely be your cord/or port.

Expert:  s_feehan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I'm going to be taking over on this for you, I apologize for the lack of knowledge demonstrated by the previous technician, that cap file actually is read from the bios and needs to be placed on a flash drive formatted in FAT32, do you have a flash drive that you can format and place that file in there?

Expert:  s_feehan replied 2 months ago.

I suspect there may be a fault with the charging port or the A/C Adapter of which you're using on the device rather than a software issue. Do you by chance have a spare AC adapter?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a drive that can be reformatted. Nonecof the adapters match thr ASUS plug
Expert:  s_feehan replied 2 months ago.

The A/C Adapter that came with the device is the original one correct? Is it possible you may be able to bring it and the machine to a local PC place to have them test it ? A lot of local pc repair places will often test for you at no charge, eliminating the need to buy a new one and have it NOT be the issue which i most likely suspect it is. It has similar symptoms to laptops i've worked on in the past, if you'd prefer to just purchase a replacement, an OEM one can be found here:

Expert:  s_feehan replied 2 months ago.

Let me know what you'd prefer to do!