John, Laptop Support Specialist
Experience:  I do installing, configuring and troubleshooting of both normal and high-end laptops.
50152684

My keyboard on my laptop seems to be locked. How can I fix

Customer Question

My keyboard on my laptop seems to be locked. How can I fix this?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.my name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you. Could you please answer the following question

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

When you say keyboard is locked do you mean you cannot type anything or some of the keys are not working?

What is the make and model of the laptop?

Which is the operating system installed in the PC.Is it Windows Vista, Windows 7, windows 8, Windows 10 ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
None of the keys on the laptop are working. It's a Toshiba Windows 8
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the details.

Please check on the bottom of the laptop for full model and let me know.

I believe you are currently chatting to me from another PC am i correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can use the touch screen pad through the navigator
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

OK so you are chatting to me from the problematic laptop.

after this problem started did you restart the laptop to see if this issue goes away?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am using my phone. It's a Satellite
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Model #L55t-B5278
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Thank for the model details.

After this problem started did you restart the laptop to see if this issue goes away?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have restarted it several times, checked keys to see if they are stuck.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not using the computer to communicate with you
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

OK there is no specific key to completely lock the keyboard so this issue can be either due to driver issue or the physical keyboard it self is faulty.We can try some troubleshooting to see if this issue can be fixed.

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

How old is this laptop?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2 yrs old
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is rarely used
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

That can be the reason to get the keyboard to not to function but before jumping to such conclusions.Do you have a spare USB keyboard?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

You do not have a desktop PC where you can take the keyboard and connect to this laptop for checking?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, this is the only computer I have
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

OK got it.

May I remote access to your PC and check the issue you are facing directly. It’s secure and also you can see what all I am doing in the PC. Let me know so that I can give you the link to do that.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The cost is an additional $39 so I will pay$80?
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

I will do this without additional cost because there is a possibility that this issue can be keyboard issue,i am remote accessing to check whether this is a software related issue or not.Please do not click on secure remote support that will take additional charge.let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
oK
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Thank you.One moment while i prepare the link and instructions on how to use it.

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Please type this address in the address bar of web browser (Internet explorer,Chrome or Firefox) http://tinyurl.com/zkr2km6 then press enter that will open remote desktop session page in that page click on I Agree, then you will get Elisnore Screen Connect Client download and run it. If it asks for User Account Control click on Yes that will allow me to connect once I am connected to your PC I will post a message using the remote chat screen. If you have any trouble connecting please let me know. Do not close this Chat/Q&A page.

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

I haven't got the access to your computer, is there any problem opening the link i gave or running the remote support tool (Elisnore Screen Connect Client)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think it went through
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

I am connected now.

Thank you

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Did the laptop reboot to safe mode because i haven't got the connection to the laptop?

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

OK continue with system restore.

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

During the system restore the laptop will restart and boot to normal mode.

Try to use keyboard and let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
System restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's computer system files and settings were not changed details: the specified restore point is missing or corrupt try again using another restore point (0x81000201)
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

OK press windows key + R key that will open run box in that type rstrui and press enter

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

That will open system restore window click on next then select older restore date and try to do system restore again and let me know.

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Is it running system restore now?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's still not working
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The num lock light went off
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

when you press Num lock again does it shows the light again

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The CD won't open and the num light won't light up. The mouse still works.
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

OK turn off the laptop then wait for 10 seconds then press and hold the esc key and turn on the laptop while holding the esc key,see if that show any options on the screen.let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The num light is back on
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Sorry to say it seems like the laptop keyboard is faulty that is why its acting erratic on num locks keys also the esc key didn't work on the start-up either.You need to replace it but before that if you can get a USB keyboard from your friend or neighbor and connect it in that way also you can make sure its the inbuilt keyboard that is faulty.Is the laptop still under warranty?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Yes and i replied to you,i believe you didn't get my last reply i will resend it

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** have to check on the warranty.
I appreciate your help.
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

You are welcome.

If you do not have any further questions please rate me using the rating options (stars) on the top of this page, select the rating and click on submit. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/

Sincerely,