comp_audio
comp_audio, 15 year veteran in auto electronics
Experience:  20+ years experience repairing laptops, and supporting software issues of all kinds.
44312836

I have successfully run windows 8.1 for several years on my

Customer Question

I have successfully run windows 8.1 for several years on my Vaio laptop. A few days ago I decided to upgrade to window 10 and the Microsoft programs checked my laptop and gave me the all clear and started the process. At the end of the installation and error message appeared to say it was not possible to update to windows 10 and return to Windows 8.1. However since returning to windows 8.1 I cannot boot. I found and old recovery SD card which I managed to boot a little from which told me there was a missing file fwpkclnt.sys with error message 0xc000009B. I tried booting through the internet cable and got a similar message about a missing file.
I have found a copy of this file on a website called wiki fixes where a software company offers a repair system but when I try to download this Norton immediately deletes it as unsafe.
Now is it possible for Sony to supply this file for windows 8.1 My laptop came with Windows 7 and I paid Sony for and upgraded to 8.1 with great difficulty when it first came out. I have an idea if I can this file in the correct version and put it onto my SD card I am using to boot with then maybe I can get up and running again. I have a second laptop to use fr this communication.
Many thanks
Gor***** *****
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What exactly happens when it boots? Do you get to the sign in screen? Exactly how 'far' do you get in the boot process?

~Franklin

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Franklin I am Gordon,
I get the blue windows squares and the little circle of dots going around then if I press the enter key I get the arrow of the cursor. Sometimes when moving the cursor I see a Web not connected icon in the wrong place lower left nearish the corner. By pressing F2 I can get into the bios changed the boot order to read and external boot and used an old boot standby SD card and it tried and gave me the error message about the lack of file fwpkclnt.sys. It also allows me to access a list of options to boot up in safe mode etc using the Function keys but none of these respond.Other than when I move the mouse the screen is blank except of course when I have booted using he SD card. I tried booting using the internet but was eventually greeted with a message "Operating system not found". Just before that it said "no boot filename received"
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Franklin there is a message at the bottom of the screen offering to connect to the laptop to repair but I don't know if you can connect in its present state.

im reviewing your question. That is automated. Please do not click that accept.

Can you tell me the model number of your Vaio?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i'll be back in a minute with the model number
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
VPCEB4C5E

First we need to set your bios to boot from the internal hard drive.

Also, have you tried to use the assist button on your keyboard to launch the sony vaio recovery center?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok Isaac it seems like we are back in business. I somehow lost you page and could not find a way back in but finally phoned the office to give me a link. And now I have found the emails as well. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have no idea where the Vaio assist key is unless it is the one that looks like a letter with an arrow on it in the bottom row between Alt gr and Ctrl
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have reset the boot to the internal hard drive.

Great

Do you see anything like this on your keyboard? (round or rectangle button with the word assist on it)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Aha yes way up on the top
I press but nothing happens. Maybe I should boot and hold own when booting?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No nothing happens
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
To my way of thinking I need to replace this file fwpkclnt.sys with the correct one for Windows 8.1. They have corrupted it trying to load Windows 10, and now it doesn't work. Where can I get a copy of this file?

You cannot download that file. It is a Windows system file. Windows has to be reinstalled.

Did you try this method of system restore?

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36806/c/65,66/kw/windows%208%20assist/

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I cannot do anything with the laptop as I can only get into the bios and then some other windows repair page which allows me no access to anything.

Okay, my suggestion would be to redownload Windows. Im going to open this up to another expert to see if

they have another alternative for you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
By redownloading windows do I jeopardise the files I have on the hard disk???
Expert:  comp_audio replied 4 months ago.

Hi, it seems your previous expert has chosen to "opt-out" and open it up for another expert. I am Matt and I will continue to try and assist you.

During the process of re-downloading or re-installing windows it will or should ask if you want to do a clean install or if you have files you wish to keep in tact.

Being I am coming into this post Windows 10 upgrade I have to ask a couple of questions as I have seen this happen often.

1. How technical inclined are you in regards ***** ***** with ISO's?

2. As a last resort, are you willing to follow a technical document showing you how to create a Windows 10 installation media DVD, backup your data and perform a clean install of Windows 10?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Matt,
Technically qualified is possibly questionable. I have been working with computers since my first PC1 with two floppies but things have advanced a little since then. I did my own download and installation of Windows 8.1 but am not too sure how far I can go with the newer stuff. I have an SD card with a few boot options on it and when I run these I get a blue screen which gives me a list of options to select from the function buttons but none of them do anything.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have no idea at this point in time how to get this machine into the real world. I am communicating with my backup laptop which has very little on it
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I run the SD card I get an error message which readsThe operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or corrupted or contains errors,File: fwpkclnt.sys
Error Code: 0xc0000098
And then a long message about reloading with a cd or usb.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
then at the bottom of the screen
Press enter to try again
Press f8 for startup settingsF8 gives me a list of start up options none of which do anything
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The only way I an see to back up my data is to remove the hard disk into a stand alone case.

Thanks for the info. I have seen this happen way too often with people upgrading to Windows 10. And to be honest the most successful solution has been to do a clean install of windows 10. I can send to you the instructions on how to do this. However, you will need a dvd burner, blank DVD and possibly a few more blank DVD's to backup your data.

But before we go down that road, lets see if this applies to you...

http://www.wiki-errors.com/wiki-errors.php?wiki=0xc0000098 or https://neosmart.net/wiki/0xc0000098/

Are those what your seeing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That way I can plug it into this unit and copy it all here

Yes, I would agree that your best course of action is to backup your data first. Then completely install windows 10 from scratch.

There is one possible way to fix this without having to do all of this though. Look at this and tell me if your comfortable giving it a go...

http://www.prime-expert.com/articles/b18/fix-0xC0000098-windows-bcd-does-not-contain-valid-os-entry.php

There are other programs similar to this one that are free as well, but I know this one is good. FYI - I am not affiliated with them at all, just used it before is all.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Matt yes it seems that that is what we need but how do I get that into a machine that is not responding to anything???

You would have to perform all the building of the cd/dvd on your backup laptop your using now, then when it is completed, boot to the cd/dvd on the problem machine.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I guess that would work if I used the SD card as well and just set the bios to external boot.

To be honest, I have never used an SD card to do this. USB drives yet, SD, no. But how big is your SD card?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can we pursue this tomorrow. I am in Spain and it is starting to get a bit late and I have been at this all day in one way or the other. How would I contact you and what time of day? The SD card is quite big a few gb. About 16 I think. I run it through USB anyway. But i can find a CD or DVD or two. The nearest shop that sells anything remotely computerish is 24 km from here.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
anyway I want to do the backup tonight anyway.

no problem my friend. Tomorrow is fine. I am in the USA, CST. Its almost 1:30pm here, and I am on all day tomorrow from 9am to 4pm CST.

I can gather and supply you with the instructions on how to download, create and install Windows 10 from scratch. I can also offer the instructions on how to create a bootable usb drive in which to backup your data prior to installing 10. It would take me about an hour to make sure its good to go, but am willing. Or if you prefer, I can also offer "Premium Services" which is a pay additional for service and do it all for you as you watch. Either way is fine with me. Just let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have about 20 years of photos on that disk and do not want to loose them. I have not backed up for about 6 or 7 months.

Yes, I agree you definitely need to do a backup. How are you going to access the data? Remove the drive and slave it to your laptop?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
yep - I think that is the safest and it kills two birds with one stone. I will then have a backup on this machine too.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will call you tomorrow. Many thanks.

Yep, good plan. Well go get it backed up, and get some rest. Then we can pickup tomorrow. Just come back here and message me when your ready to continue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Matt this is Gordon here. I am sorry that I could not contact you today but that backing up took forever. How long will it take to make the cd we need to reload the windows on the old laptop.

Thanks for letting me know. That dvd should take around an hour or less on standard machines. Not sure what type of machine your working on right now though.

Just keep me in the loop.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Matt I kind of figure that it is a reasonable time of day on your side of the world to start the setting up of Windows dvd. I have installed a blank dvd into my laptop. It is a fairly young ASUS which I bought 2 years ago.

Alright, did you get all of your data backed up?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
yep .... it took forever as the external casing i used was not the fastest
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have reinstalled the hard drive to the old sony vaio

I hear that Gordon. So your now going to create the bootable Windows 10 installation DVD or are you putting it on a USB drive?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
On a dvd by choice.

Sounds good. Let me know how it goes my friend.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But Matt what do I do next?

I will send you the instructions.. Hold on.

Follow the instructions attached here

Or if you prefer I can "Offer Premium Services" and do it for you too. But know it does cost a little more.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Matt - looking through these instructions somewhere it mentions the purchase of a license which I suspect costs a couple of hundred dollars. I still have no answer to my original question and that is where can I get a copy of this missing file to run up my windows 8.1 on my old laptop. Every time I boot up the old one with the SD card I get the message that there is a missing or corrupt file: fwpkclnt.sys error code 0xc0000098. Now if you can guide me to this file and it runs the Windows 8.1 then I am more than happy. I do not really want a new Windows 10 if it is going to cost many dollars.

No no no, disregard that. There is no cost to install windows 10 at all. It is free as you are already running it. As for the missing file, it has to do with Windows 10 installation. That is where and why you will be much better off to do a clean install of Windows 10. You will not be charged for anything when installing Windows 10. That statement is for users whom for example built their own PC and never had windows of any kind installed before or for OEM builders.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK Matt, I guess you guys are still sleeping over there but I have been working on this problem for some hours and it seems to be up and running ok. Although not too sure! I am back in business and working again as a laptop. The Windows 10 does not seem quite the same as the one operating on this machine. There was a sudden change in the operation and the screen went to a very small print and I had a message about a serial number but that seems to have died but i still have this tiny print. The clock and languages I have reset to the local wants. So yes I guess we are up and running and back in business with a windows 10 system but I have lost all of my information regarding desktop and all of my software. Perhaps not lost hopefully but unable to find it. I also load my VIAO with and ASUS desktop page. All rather confusing but If I cannot get the software back then a total disaster. Many thanks for your help.

Hi Gordon, I thought you performed a backup, in which should include your files and such. Did you only backup your photos?

Gordon, you still there my friend?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I BACKED UP THE ENTIRE DISC. CAN I JUST COPY THE PROGRAM FILES ACROSS TO THE WINDOWS 10 NOW? WHAT ABOUT THE REGISTRY AND ALL THAT STUFF. NOTHING IS SHOWING ON THE OLD MACHINE EXCEPT WINDOWS.

Okay, thanks for getting back to me. How did you do the backup? Was it a 1 for 1 backup meaning you copied stuff over like drag and drop or did you use a particular program to back it up?

As for dragging program files across - Thats a huge NO NO. Never do that with a windows pc. The applications need to install files across different areas.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i REMOVED THE HARD DISK FROM THE LAPTOP AND PLACED I INTO AN EXTERNAL DRIVE CASING. i THEN COPIED THE PHOTOS DIRECTORY TO THE NEW LAPTOP. i THEN COPIED ALL THE REMAINING FILES TO THE HARD DISK OF THE NEW LAPTOP. I THEN DOWNLOADED WINDOWS 10 FOR cd ON THE NEW LAPTOP AS AN iso FILE AND THEN MADE IT INTO A dvd. I THEN REMOUNTED THE HARD DISC IN THE OLD LAPTOP AND RAN THE dvd LOAD WINDOWS 10 DISC. iT IS AT THAT POINT I SUSPECT THAT ALL THE SOFTWARE FILES WERE REMOVED WHEN THE dvd LOADED NEW PROGRAM FILES WITH THE NEW W10 PROGRAM FILES CONTAINING ONLY THE NEW WINDOWS PROGRAMS, SO THE OLD SOFTWARE WAS EFFECTIVELY LOST. I STILL HAVE THE OLD WINDOWS 8 "PROGRAM FILES(X86)" wHICH STILL HAS SOME OF THE SOFTWARE BUT IT WON'T BE IN THE NEW REGISTRY.

You are correct, and that is an expected result when installing 10 from scratch. However, I am curious, do you not have the old software install media? What are the titles of the software as we may be able to find them for you to install. And is the stuff you copied/backed up available to hook up to your newly installed windows 10 machine? That way we can at least get all of your data back to your machine again.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know this may sound like a stupid question but how do we link a laptop to a laptop?

Not stupid at all. So here is what I would suggest. If you do not have any external drives or USB drives, go buy one. They are not too expensive. Then hook that to your new laptop, copy the files to the usb drive, then hook it to the old newly installed windows 10 laptop and copy the files over to it. To be honest, it seems like you might Premium Services. I think once you have an external drive or USB drive I could remote in and take care of allot of this for you and save you allot of time.

Please let me know where we are with this so I can further assist. Thanks in advance.