Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  12+ years experience. Expert in repairing various laptop models
50064670

I have a model 80r2 which came with ms10. I need to know the

Customer Question

I have a model 80r2 which came with ms10. I need to know the product key
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 4 months ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Can you please give more details of your need ? Do you need the product code of Windows 10 ? Or some another program ?

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was looking for the product code of 10

For laptops factory shipped with Windows, the serial number of the OS is actually within the BIOS menu, and not on the Windows 8/8.1/10 stickers under the laptop.

For a re-installation of the same version of Windows 8/8.1/10 as your system originally shipped with, you will not require to know the key. Windows 8/8.1/10 will use the key embedded in the BIOS.

The reason for the above is that it is one of the improvements Microsoft has made. All newly manufactured machines that came preloaded with Windows 8/8.1/10 will not come with the COA (certificate of authenticity). Instead, this will be embedded in the BIOS to avoid product keys from being compromised and OEMs will buy what they need.

You may find out some tools from the internet to help you view the product key (refer to Lenovo Forum peer-to-peer discussion https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-8-and-8-1/Where-can-I-find-the-product-key-on-a-preinstalled-version-of/m-p/932245#M1956). However, since the embedded key has only one purpose (to automatically activate Windows 8/8.1/10 on a single unique instance of hardware), it is uncertain if the key returned is definite, apart from being a collection of characters in a format that looks like a Microsoft key. Please refer this article also and try to find the product key.

Regards

Jins