Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist

Sean S. My ethernet connection I217-V is very erratic going

Customer Question

for Specialist Sean S. My ethernet connection I217-V is very erratic going from highs down to 0 kbps. I can do yahoo chat without any problem, but websites I have open will just freeze up. The "freezes" coincide with the 0 Kbps ethernet performance. Can you tell me why this is happening (this is a new problem and happens multiple times day/night) and what can be done? Thanks much.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Kevin T replied 3 months ago.

I am currently on duty. Would you like me to connect to your PC and have a look for you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

No thank you, ***** ***** specifically waiting to hear from Specialist Sean S.

Expert:  Specialist Sean S. replied 3 months ago.

Greetings my friend. I sincerely ***** ***** the delay. I was caught up yesterday and it slipped my mind

It sounds like an internet browser issue. Yahoo Chat sounds like a separate client

So, it's either an issue with your browser, a connection with your internet (test another device such as a phone or a tablet to see if you experience any noticeable issues with it to cross that off the list), or the issue is a virus. I'm leaning towards the first one. If so, you'll need to reset your browser.

Let me know which browser you're using and I can assist you with resetting it. If the problem persists from there, then I would look at the network adapter. I await your reply to assist you further. Best regards!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Specialist Sean S. Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry I have not been able to get back to you until now. I have checked the phone and all is well with the phone as far as I can tell. I have Norton that runs anti-virus on my computer. I use Mozilla Firefox. Please guide me in resetting. Thank you!

Expert:  Specialist Sean S. replied 2 months ago.

Sure, the steps are listed in very simple form on the link below. Let me know the results of that once you do it. You'll probably need to restart your machine after as well. If that does not work, I'm happy to offer the remote session and can further see what you see. Best Regards!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Thanks! I will give it a try this morning.