Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  15 Years saving Laptops from the recyling bin! Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I need to check if my Sony VAIO laptop VGN-FW170J is

Customer Question

Hello, I need to check if my Sony VAIO laptop VGN-FW170J is compatible with Win 10
It's running Vista.
Is there a utility for that? - I've had trouble finding one
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Sandy replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Sandy and I look forward to help you today.

I'm sorry about the issue.

Click the link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/windows-10-upgrade

And click Upgrade for Free and first it will install Windows 10 app and will tell you if your computer is compatible with Windows 10 or not.

For Faq, please click the link given here: Click Me

For detailed explanation, click the link given here: Click Me

If you have other queries regarding this, please reply back to me the box given below.

And if you can take a second to rate my service(-OK or more -by clicking stars at the top of the page and choose submit), to credit me for my time, work and efforts, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Regards, Sandy

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Sandy,
That doesn’t really help because it assumes you are going to do a free upgrade to Win 10 but that’s not possible from Vista so it’s of no help.
I need an application compatible with Vista that will check compatibility of the laptop with win 10.
I haven't been able to find one - thought an expert might know.
Cheers
Clive
Expert:  sudipto_dutta replied 4 months ago.

As the other expert had opted out, I will try to help you. Will you like to work with me ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Sudipto but I have solved my problem in another way so I don't need any help now.
Best regards
Clive

OK, no problem.

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Just to be clear, you Vaio isnt supported on windows 10

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/os10upgrade.pl?mdl=VGNFW170J

The most recent drivers for your specific model are for windows 7 64 bit. with that being said, you may be able to get the machine running on windows 10 by installing the windows 7 64 bit drivers after you install windows 10.. But, you may not have an internet connection until you install those drivers.

So if you are going to upgrade, what I suggest is to use a USB memory stick or external hard drive. Download every single windows 7 64 bit driver, and then save them to the USB memory stick or external drive. That way, after you upgrade to windows 10, you have the drivers ready to install.

Also, you definitely want to create a system image backup of windows 7 first, just in case.. Heres how to do that,

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I never heard back from you after you viewed my answer. Did you still need help with this issue?

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Dustin, on the basis of what you and others told me I decided that I would just simply
install an OEM version of Windows 7 on a brand-new hard drive because the original drive had
crashed completely. So I purchased a duplicate hard drive and attempted to install the OEM
Windows 7. I used F2 to force the boot system to use the internal optical drive [Matshita BD–
CMB UJ–120 USB device].
The initial installation process seemed to go OK, the optical drive
whirred and said it was downloading a lot of files and got to the point where it asked to
proceed with Windows 7 installation and that started up and got to a point where a pop-up
window entitled "install Windows" said "select driver to be installed".
Something prior to that suggested to me that it was looking for a Windows 7 driver for the
above-referenced Matshita optical drive.
Under that pop up window there are two buttons labeled "browse" and "scan".
I have been unable to find a suitable driver.
All I can find are.exe files (e.g. from driver update.net) that will supposedly find the right driver but I'm not sure how to use those given that I'm maybe 5% of the way through "collecting information" in the process of installing the OEM Windows 7 DVD.
Can you help?
Regards
Clive
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

When you say OEM windows 7.. Can you describe to me how the disk it self appears, and what it says on it.

Thank you,

Dustin S

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here's an image of the disk. It's brand new from unopened package.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Thanks.. And I assume the back is entirely scracth free? I ask because normally you shouldnt have to install any drivers..

The reason you have to install them, is because you are usinga non standard dvd drive.. The matshita drive you have is a Blu ray drive, whose drivers werent included with windows 10.

What you could try to do is load this file onto a usb and then pointing the windows 7 install at this file

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNFZ460E&upd_id=4454&os_group_id=10

But most likely, what you will need is a cheap , usb dvd drive. Such as this

http://amzn.to/2afgIZ2

Or, you could burn the disk to a USB memory stick, and then boot from that instead, removing the need for cde drivers until windows is installed and can install them from windows update.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Dustin - thank you for your quick reply.
I think I like the idea of copying the OEM disk to a USB stick and using that to boot from.
My only concern there is that I'm a bit worried that when I stick the OEM disk into my desktop it
might start trying to install itself automatically. Do you think that is likely?
And will the OEM disk be an ISO image? If not, what do you expect? - a setup.exe file?
Any idea how big it will be?
Best regards
Clive
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
btw - oem disk looks perfect cosmetically.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Apologies for the delay.

It may bing up the first initial install screen, but you can cancel out of that.. It cant install without you clicking through several install screens, so you have a wide margin of safety there.

With that being said, the process to convert an install dvd to a usb is a bit in depth.. But you can complete it by following these steps

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2123762/convert-windows-installation-disk-usb-installation-drive.html

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Dustin, Thank you for the link you sent that guided me well through the process of installing the Windows 7 OEM iso - firstly on a thumb drive and then on the laptop - all of which seemed to go quite smoothly and the installation seemed to be doing what you would expect but at the end of it all, a pop-up window appeared with the disappointing message "windows set up could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware"
I tried a few things including trying to use the original DVD OEM Windows 7system in the hope that some drivers might of been installed allowing that DVD to be read and indeed the Optical drive could be heard whirring and searching but, after a few minutes only, the result was the same sky-blue window with wispy clouds and white contrails on it as well as the aforesaid "windows set up could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware". Any ideas? Regards Clive
P.S. I have a version of XP on a thumb drive that allows me to look at what's on the hard drive?? Also I did check before I started all this to discover whether this laptop should be upgradable to Windows 7. It was supposed to be upgradable. However, my wife has an identical Laptop running Vista and I'm going to have a look to see if there is some utility that I can apply to it to discover whether it is compatible with Windows 7. Do you know of such an utility?
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

What i can say is this, you have an OEM disk. The OEM disk checks the model of the machine. As those OEM disks are only meant to install windows on one exact and specific model. ( they arent full windows 7 i nstall disks, that you could use on any machine)

You either need to buy an actual install disk, such as this http://amzn.to/2a0cSnz

Or, if you have a windows 7 product key already. Tell me what version of windows 7 that product key is for, such as home, basic, pro, etc. And I can help you create an i nstall disk to use with your product key

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Dustin,
Thanks very much for your reply.
I have attached an image of the package that contained the OEM disk - I hope that helps?
I also have the original key on the bottom of the laptop which is designated "Vista Home Premium - OEM Act Sony Corporation"
If push comes to shove I might have to go back to that.
Best regards
Clive
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

That disk you had, is to reinstall windows 7 sp1 on a machine that already had a valid copy of windows installed on it.

Meaning, youd have to reinstall vista first, have it running.. And then use the windows 7 install disk you have while vista is running.

Thats the only way you can get that disk to allow you to install windows.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Dustin, thanks again for your advice. I guess a little knowledge is a dangerous thing - eh?
I understood that OEM disk was menat for a clean install by and OEM system builder. If not, why on earth is it called an OEM disk?
However, given that I have a valid key on the bottom of the laptop for the original Vista Home Premium that was installed when I bought it, is there any way that I can get a free copy of vista that will run with my valid key?
Alternatively, can I use OEM pre-installation tools to install the Win 7 OEM disk?
Cheers
CB
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Your best bet is to keep the product key you have.. And then download a full wi ndows 7 install ISo.. And then properly burn that iso to disk to make it bootable using a program like imgburn

You can get the iso files here on this page, make sur eit matches your product key and windows 7 version

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/will-windows-7-64-bit-system-builder-disk-let-me/68d3f8b0-82a9-4fb8-9ed3-55b8cf8012ff

And you can get imageburn here

http://imgburn.com/

Your disk is for OEM reinstalls.. but all you really need is the product key.. If you make a disk as suggested, you can install windows 7 without further issue.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Dustin,
I had to put this laptop project on the back burner for a little while as I struggled to upgrade my desktop from win 7 to win 10.
Eventually, despite the fact that the MS pre-upgrade application telling me that my machine was compatible, I discovered from HP that it wasn't. What a big fat waste of time - like many hours. I'll get back to the laptop tomorrow and follow your suggestions.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Understood.. I wish I would have known about your update issues. I could have helped, lots of people were trying to beat that deadline.

get back to me whenever is convenient for you,

Dustin S

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Dustin - life got in the way of the laptop project today - possibly get back to it tomorrow - needed to do some stuff for wifey - she actually still gets paid for what she does.
Cheers
Clive
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

I understand that completely. Ive been masquerading as a gopher all morning myself.

Dustin S