Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

This is from a conversation I had with Sudipto_dutta. I

Customer Question

This is a follow up from a conversation I had withCustomerI bought the cable to go from my laptop VGA to my TV's HDMI but it doesn't seem to work. What am I doing wrong?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  sudipto_dutta replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for posting your question on Justanswer.com, a global paid independent support site.My Name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Can you tell me, if your laptop is able to detect the TV or not ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I know that?

Can you tell me, which version of Windows is installed in your PC ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Windows 7

OK, did you selected the correct input source in TV ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did.

Did you restarted the laptop after connecting the cable ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Please open the link below and follow the steps then, let me know how it goes for you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/kb/976064

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The laptop is not detecting another screen. I tried both methods in the link you sent. The first returned a message that a second screen was not detected.

Then, it seems either the cable or the port on the laptop is defective. The cable can be defective because this type of cables is very cheap and low quality. You can replace the cable and check once more. As there is no other way to connect the laptop with the TV. One more thing, you can check your TV, if there is any VGA port present on it or not ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No VGA on the TV.Can I use the cable to hook up with another laptop (my old laptop VGA to my new laptop HDMI)?

No! do not try that, because the VGA port and the HDMI ports on both the laptop are output port.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I hooked up my laptop to a monitor and it showed up as 1/2 on the monitor display panel. So the output VGA from the laptop is working.

OK, it is confirmed that the VGA port is working. Then, it can be the cable which is defective.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just bought the cable. It is brand new.

Then, it means the video card on your laptop do not support digital signal output, you will need two more things to complete the connection, please watch the video from the link below to have some idea about how to connect a nondigital VGA port to HDMI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUupA0S0670

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You had recommended to me that I buy this cable. So you were assuming that my VGA was digital?

Yes, as it is very difficult to know if the card support digital signal or not and I do not want you to spend too much money on the converter and other cables, but now as the cable is not working it is confirmed that the video card do not support digital signal.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Too bad. I don't think I want to waste a lot of money on a converter and other cables. So I will just live without this laptop connecting to the TV.

If the laptop is too old then, there is no need to spend any more money on the other cable or converter.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay. Thanks for your help.

Thanks