Richard, Laptop Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

My Toshiba Satellite laptop recently stopped working when it

Customer Question

My Toshiba Satellite laptop recently stopped working when it is unplugged even though the battery shows fully charged.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Barun replied 7 months ago.

Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

This is a fairly common issue with older Toshiba laptops, and indicates that one of your battery sockets has gotten faulty, which leads to the motherboard not detecting the battery when it's inserted (even though it shows up as fully charged.) You will need to replace the battery to resolve this issue; if you could provide me with the laptop model, I'll provide you with a link to purchase the replacement battery online from.

Please reply back to me below; thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Satellite P55W-C5200X. And as you probably know, the battery is not 'removeable' without opening up the laptop.
Expert:  Barun replied 7 months ago.

OK; Please do NOT accept any remote assistance offer if it shows up on this page anytime; it's sent out automatically by our site, and not by me. I'll reply back to you below now.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok thanks.
Expert:  Barun replied 7 months ago.

Just a moment, looking up the model now. Please stand by.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Standing by...
Expert:  Barun replied 7 months ago.

Hmm, I see the issue here now. Looks like a glitch within Windows that switches off the screen when the power charger is unplugged; could you let me know if the laptop is running Windows 7/8/10?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Windows 10
Expert:  Barun replied 7 months ago.

OK; yes, the battery replacement solution does not apply for your laptop, since it's a newer model; the battery is completely fine. One moment, typing up further steps now.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks.
Expert:  Barun replied 7 months ago.

OK, please do this now:

RIGHT-CLICK on the Start button at the bottom-left corner of your screen, and then click "Power Options" from the menu that shows up.

Next, click on "Change plan settings" next to your selected power plan, and then set "Adjust plan brightness" all the way to the right, for BOTH "On battery" and "When plugged in". Click "Save changes", and then unplug the power charger.

Does this make any difference to your issue? Do keep me posted.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok, I will try it now...
Expert:  Barun replied 7 months ago.

OK, I'll be here; thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Did NOT work. Laptop turned off as soon as I unplugged it.
Expert:  Barun replied 7 months ago.

OK; now, when did you first start having this issue with the laptop? Also, are you currently replying to me from the same laptop itself?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Started about 3 weeks ago, and yes I am using the computer with the battery problem. I plugged it back it and restarted it so I could continue texting with you.
Expert:  Barun replied 7 months ago.

Hmm, so the laptop actually shut down (instead of just the screen turning off as assumed earlier.) One moment, please.

Expert:  Barun replied 7 months ago.

Now, please check the back of the laptop carefully - do you see a tiny Reset hole as shown in the following screenshot:

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/bulletins/su4004523/IMG_2478.png

Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I see it.
Expert:  Barun replied 7 months ago.

OK; now, please disconnect the power charger again, and then insert a paperclip (or something similarly shaped) into this Reset hole, and HOLD down the battery reset button for atleast 30 seconds.

Done that, please check if you are able to restart with the charger unplugged, and let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is the battery reset button where I am inserting the paper clip?
Expert:  Barun replied 7 months ago.

Yes, you should feel that button when you insert the paperclip into the Reset hole now. Do keep me posted.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok will do.
Expert:  Barun replied 7 months ago.

OK, thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Actually I was looking at a black screw by mistake. There is no battery reset button on the back of my laptop.
Expert:  Barun replied 7 months ago.

Hmm, this is a troubling issue. Let me open up your question to our other experts now who can assist further; you will be automatically notified by email when another expert picks this up. Please do NOT rate until your issue has been resolved. Thank you.

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you please remove the power cable from the Laptop

Then hold the power button down for 60 seconds then release.

Connect the power cable, turn it on and tell me how it now functions please.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No change. After I restarted my laptop I unplugged it and it shut down instantly.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Thanks

I want you please to do a restore to a point of time before this problem occurred to undo any corruption that could have caused this.

To do this, close all programs.

Press the windows key + X and click on Control Panel

click System and Security

Then click on System

Then System Protection

Then System restore

Choose a date before this problem occurred.

Let it complete and tell me if it now functions correctly please