Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

When I turn on my Inspiron 530s it go to black screen with

Customer Question

When I turn on my Inspiron 530s it go to black screen with enter password ***** I forgot. Have not used in awhile. When coming on it says in small letters auto detect ( analog input). Have tried F8 no luck,F2 everything show just has enter password ***** red box. F12 notting. Can you help me? Just want to open it. Please.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question, I look forward to assisting you today. This happens before Windows even starts correct?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dell revision 1.0.5 old
BIOS
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Okay thank you. This is what is called the BIOS password ***** the only way to reset it is to open the computer. If you are comfortable with that, I can give you instructions?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok do I need to turn off and unplug.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Yes you will.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have it opened.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm ready.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Open the case and find a green or blue jumper beside the memory (RAM) slot or near where the Data cable from the hard drive plug in. Remove jumper , then turn computer on and wait for 10 sec then shut it down. Put the jumper back and close the computer case and restart.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Still asking for password. Screen is black still.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Didn't work.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Okay then, you will need to try this next but it may take an hour or two to see any results. Are you okay with that?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
that will be fine.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Okay good. Remove the jumpers again then look for the CMOS battery that is plugged into the mother board. It will be silver in color and about the size of a nickel. Remove the battery, then press and hold the power button for about one minute. Let the computer set for an hour or so, then replace the battery and jumper and try it again.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok will contact you in about an hour if it does not work.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Okay. You can also contact me if it does work if you like?

Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Just checking in to see how you came out. Please let me know if you need further assistance.