Mr.Med
Mr.Med, laptop problems
Experience:  Networks & Security Engineer
76221641

My toshiba laptop won't bootup into windows 10. After the

Customer Question

my toshiba laptop won't bootup into windows 10. After the startup screen appears, the screen goes blank. Any suggestions as to how to correct this problem? Thank you in advance.
Doug
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to jutanswer, my name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today,

I'm sorry about the issue, what is the model/brand of your computer? is it Laptop or a Desktop?

Did you upgrade to windows 10? What operating system did you have before? (windows 7, or 8?)

Did Windows 10 ever work properly?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
toshiba laptop Satellite L655D-S5050 Yes upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Yes the laptop has been working fine after upgrade for 2 months.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Please try to remove the power cable, then hold the power button in for one minute, then release.
connect the power cable, turn on the laptop and tell me if it now starts correctly.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The same thing...won't boot up after the start up screen; the screen is blank
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Please boot into safe mode and do a System Restore of your Windows 10 os by following the steps below :

1-Boot to advanced startup options, Click/tap on Troubleshoot. : http://tinyurl.com/qhgz987

2-Click/tap on Advanced options. then Click/tap on System Restore

3-If prompted, click/tap on an administrator account.

4-click/tap on Next : http://tinyurl.com/nt2b8df

5-Choose a different restore point, and click/tap on Next.

6-You should use the restore point with a date when you still don't have this issue

Let me know the results

Thank you

Let me know the results

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I boot into safe mode with windows 10?
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Please try one of the options listed in the link below :

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
using F8 or shift+F8 donesn't work. F2 &F12 work.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Ok good, now please restore your windows 10 and let me know if it works for you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
F2 & F12 doesn't get me into safe mode. It is setup utility & boot manager
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Press F8 before the Windows screen appears (Windows 8.1 can require pressing Shift+F8).

On the Windows Advanced Boot Option screen use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

OR :

1. Restart your computer . When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power > Restart.

2. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Start-up Settings > Restart.

3. After your PC restarts, you’ll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did not work
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Do you have a windows 10 installation disc?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I don't have installation disk; I downloaded Windows 10 via internet.Going to watch tutorials now.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Ok, let me know if you still need help

Thank you

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

has everything worked out please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All of these videos are good if you can boot up into windows. My problem is blackscreen. Do you have a link for my blackscreen problem?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Should I download windows 10 to my flash drive and boot up with it?
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Please try this: Turn off the laptop, disconnect the battery and AC adapter from it. Wait 5 minutes, then press and hold the power button for 60 seconds and release it. Proceed to connect the ac adapter (without the battery) and turn it back on. If still no display, disconnect the AC adapter, reinsert the battery, then reconnect the AC adapter and try now. Does it boot up ok now?

Additional Information : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEgQxkQyJRQ

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

You can also create a Bootable DVD for Windows 10 and use it to get in recovery option so you can do a system restore : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/ptsblog/2015/08/19/how-to-create-a-bootable-usb-stick-or-a-bootable-dvd-for-windows-10/

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No good...still have blackscreen. I am going to create boot disk for windows 10.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Sorry! Let me know once you finish.

Thanks

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Once you create the bood disk please follow the steps below :

1. Boot from your Windows 10 installation USB created from a Windows 10 ISO file.

2. Select english and click on Next.

3.Click on Repair your computer at the bottom.

4.Select your Operating System and At the recovery options menu, click on System Restore.

5.Once the System Restore has been completed, restart the computer

Let me know if you need further assistance

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I made the bootable USB flash drive & used it. What happened next was the laptop started to boot; had the windows symbol & circling dots on screen. What happened next is now I have a blue screen. Pls advise;made some progress bt not there yet.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Hi, sorry for delay in replying

Please do you still need help?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do need help. I made a bootable USB flash drive & used it to boot up. The laptop booted past the black screen to the windons symbol with the circling dots; then the screen turned blue. Pls advise.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Please restart your computer and wait for that first screen to pop up. Often, it'll say something like "Press F12 to Choose Boot Device" (Most usual keys are F1, F2, F8, F10, F12and Del) somewhere on the screen. Press that key now. (before the windows logo appear)

Once you’re in the BIOS, look for some sort of “Boot” option menu. Now Change the Boot Order using the arrow keys and make sure your usb drive is the first choice (the first one in the boot list).

save changes and restart your computer.

aditional information : http://www.howtogeek.com/129815/beginner-geek-how-to-change-the-boot-order-in-your-computers-bios/

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's what I did ;3 times & the screen ultimately turns blue after it gets passed the windows symbol.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you think my hard drive is fried?
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Can you try from a bootable cd (not a flash usb) ?

let me know

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will have to get cd. I will let you know what happens.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Ok, hope it works

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Me too!
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

:)

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Any results please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Merything myself. y wife brought home 700 mb cds ; I need 3gb. I have to do everything myself. Went out sailing tonite on my friends boat. We put the sails on Tuesday.... its a 33' boat.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Ok, when you create the boot disk, please follow my previous steps, it should work

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I shall....I will let you know how it turns out.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Ok, thanks

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Has everything worked out please, do you still need help?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I made the bootable CD/DVD ....same result as the bootable flash drive....permanent blue screen.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Please Shut down the computer and Unplug ALL of your USB-attached devices like printers and external hard disk drives, Turn ON the computer and see if it will go past that blue screen this time.

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

If you still cannot get to the desktop, a restart the computer several times (or use the installation disc), it will enter automatic repair.

After automatic repair, on the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore. This option takes your computer back to an earlier point in time, Choose a restore point before you experienced the error.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
do u understand this hard drive is fried?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Doing the same thing over & over again excepting different results is the definition of insanity ....and Im not there yet.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

That could mean the hard disk is faulty and needs repairing or replacing. Is your laptop still under warranty. ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No...looking for new one.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

The problem is probably caused by the faulty hard drive, Please Take your laptop to Toshiba authorized service center for diagnostics, I am sorry I couldn't help you with this because it is a hardware problem!

If you have a moment kindly rate my answer by clicking on one of the stars, positive rating are appreciated. Note : only rate if you are satisfied, please do not rate an answer as poor or bad service if you are not satisfied.

Thank you