Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist

I have a Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5104. I bought it new a

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5104.
I bought it new a few years ago at Best Buy.
I recently was upgrading to Windows 10, from Windows 8. Windows 8 was already installed, thus no installation disk was provided.
Windows 10 never finished installing and began a cyclical never-ending restart, which allows me to do nothing. I'm trying to get into safe mode, but all of the crap on the Internet is not helpful at all. I cannot get to a startup menu or the advanced options or anything. It's just the Toshiba startup logo, then the dotted circle that chases itself, then a super quick flash of a black screen with white outline (like a boot screen) then the Blue Screen error FAT_FIX_SYSTEM
I went to Best Buy and they verified that My files are all still on the hard drive and I purchased an extractor chord to save my files directly from the hard drive. But I'd rather try to see if I can save my laptop and simply extract the files in Safe Mode!
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Sandy replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Sandy and I look forward to help you today.

I'm sorry about the issue.

Please follow these steps once and tell me the outcome:

Turn off the laptop.
Disconnect the power cord.
Now unplug the battery. You can turn it over to remove the battery.
Hold down the power button on the laptop for 1 minute.
Now, connect only power cord and restart it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. I did that and it accomplished nothing.
Same restart issues and same error code.
Expert:  Sandy replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry, I'm out of ideas. I'm opting out and leaving it for other experts. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, Thank You!
I'll wait to hear from them tomorrow.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Still waiting for someone to assist.
This should be fairly easy, I'm assuming.
Expert:  Sandy replied 4 months ago.

Other expert will reply back to you soon. Thank you, ***** *****

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This service sucks!!!
I'll be requesting my refund today!
Expert:  Christopher Holl replied 4 months ago.

Hi There

Often the FAT_FILE_SYSTEM errors are caused by some form of disc corruption either in the disk itself or in the master boot record. I would reccomend using the external adapter chord you mentioned to run a disk scan from another windows computer (assuming that the disk is not encrypted.) The following link details how to do this: . Safe mode in Windows 10 works differently than in previous generations. Occassionally you'll have to use shift+F8 in order to get into it, and if you have a solid state drive or UEFI enabled in BIOS it won't work properly. In these cases the only option would be booting from a recovery drive. Let me know how you make out and i'm happy to provide more assistance as needed!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This didn't help at all. It's just copying and pasting from the Microsoft forums.

I assure you that I did not copy and paste from the Microsoft forums. I sent you a link to a procedure for checking the disk externally. Your options are quite limited without media. I'm happy to help more if there are more specifics, or results from any of the mentioned steps.