Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  15 Years saving Laptops from the recyling bin! Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

I am at a public school in NSW and have a number of Toshiba

Customer Question

I am at a public school in NSW and have a number of Toshiba laptops (out of warranty) that have blank screens when turned on. They have power, I have removed and cleaned the battery and I cannot use a disk to restart as they have had specific drivers installed to enable logon to our DET network. I do not want to lose the drivers as the DET won't reinstall them as we did not purchase them through DET procurement.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

What version, or versions of windows do those machines have installed on them?

Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 or 10 ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Windows 7
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Thank you.. You didnt mention trying this.. And these steps should allow us to repair the computer, without reinstalling windows or removing any of the vendor specific drivers you mentioned.

try starting with the machine fully off. ( hold down power for 30 seconds to make sure its off, and not just in sleep or hibernate mode )

Then, turn the machine on and immediately start tapping the F8 key.

You should see a menu of options, choose safe mode with networking.

if it gets stuck on a white line of code, copy down the last line of code and send it to me here. If it loads into windows in safe mode. Then try this next

Click start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore..

Click, restore my computer to an earlier pont, then click next..

We want to choose a restore point that was at least one day before the issues started..

Carry out the restore. the computer will restart, then let me know if that fixed the issue or not..

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thankyou Dustin. F8 has worked for screen, but the message I am getting is Missing Operating System. There are no other messages on the screen. I have one computer fully booted, but have only tried one other and got this message.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have tried another 2 but F8 is not working. Still getting no screen
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Are all three computers getting the same missing operating system message?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. one has booted ok, One has the message and the others I can not get a screen at all. There is power, but F8 is not turning the screen on
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

The one with the no operating system message.

You either need to remove the hard drive, and reinstall it..

Or, go into the f1 f2 bios settings screen, and check your boot order to make sure its booting from the HDD first.

As far as the two without any screens at all. Could you try shining a bright light on those two machines, directly on the screen with the machines turned on and running.

Can you see anything faintly on the screen when you shine a bright light on it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have shone a light but can't see anything
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I am in the middle of teaching!!
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

All right.. For the two that have nothing at all on the screen..

When you press power, do any of the led lights flicker, or stay on? Can you hear the machines running?

Can you actually tell if they are powered on at all>?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I turn on the battery and power lights are on but it doesn't sound like it is powering up
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Do those models have a removable battery?

if so, remove the power cord and battery, press and hold power for 30 seconds.

Then plug in the battery and power cord and try to turn them on.. Do you see the screen flicker or light up or show anything at all?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did that but nothing happened.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Do the f1 or f2 buttons bring up anything if you press them within half a second of turning the machines on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sadly no!
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Those two units both sound like they have probably had a bad windows update, or bad bios flash occur.

We may want to focus on the one unit with the no operating system message.

That means either the hard drive has failed, or isnt being detected.

On the machine that gives the no operating system message, if you rapidly tap f1 or f2 within half a second of turning the machine on .. Does it take you to the bios settings screen?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

if you go to the boot section.. whats listed first?

Is there an HDD listed first or what exactly do you see listed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Ok, and do you see anywhere in the bios settings where it mentions UEFI or Legacy or CSM boot mode?

If so, whats it currently set to?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
In advanced it states USB Legacy emulation which is enabled
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

if the HDD is showing first. Then what we need to do is shut down the machine, remove the battery and power cord, open the bottom plate of the machine and pull the h ard drive.. Then, blow out the hard drive connectors and reinsert the hard drive.

Hopefully it doesnt say no operating system found.

For the other two machines, try opening the bottom plate or ram access door on the bottom and removing one of the ram chips then starting the computer. If the screen stays completely blank, remove the other ram chip and replace the first.

On a side note, if all these machines crashed on the same exact day.. Thats indicative of one of two things.. Either a power surge that affected all computers, or y our network was infected with a virus, or someone loaded a virus on those machines to crash them.

My apologies for the long delay in replies, its well past the end of my shift at this point.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will try all those things. Thankyou for your help. They did not crash on the same day. Thanks again
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

If they didnt crash on the same day, thats great news.

If you send the model number, I can help try and guide you with specific steps on removing and reinserting the hard drives, and ram chips Tara.

Dustin S

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Did you still need help with this issue?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Dustin. I haven't tried your suggestions yet. I will try to get to them over the weekend as we have a long weekend here in Australia. Tara
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Not a problem Tara. And thank you for getting back to me.

Ill be here if you need me~

Dustin S