Russell H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Proud to have been getting computer technicalities into working order since 1988.

My toshiba satellite L656 S5059 will not remove the password

Customer Question

My toshiba satellite L656 S5059 will not remove the password ***** using the jump wire to make a short circuit on M/B B500 location. I treys many times without success
Thank you
Category: Laptop
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Short circuiting M/B B500 did not remove the password ***** the computer asking for password ***** start up and again for user password
After Windows loaded.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry,I was short circuiting at C500. I cannot find B500
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If you get through the asking for a password ***** start up, and then asks again for a user password ***** Windows loads, then you have cleared the initial/power-up password, I think - or you know it already.

If you know it already or get through it otherwise, then you have access to the BIOS Setup. Go into the BIOS Setup then, and disable asking for a power-On password.

If I presume wrong about the problem, I apologize... but you did say you were getting to the Windows password ***** also. If so, the above ought to be possible, without any chip-shorting.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I power up still asking for password ***** disk password ***** After loading Windows, asking for user password ***** I do not have that. In bios I tried to change them but will not allow it. That is why idols the short out B500 for which your tec manual asking for. I cannot find B500 only c500

You cannot change a Windows password ***** BIOS Setup, of course.

Do you have the Power-On password, please?

If so... you should have control over disabling the BIOS Setup setting that enables the power-On password ***** the first place. Or at least power to change it to a 0-length password ***** will only require a RETURN key press after power-On.

If you do not follow the procedure appropriate for your BIOS Setup type/version, though, the change will not take.

E.g.: if you are required to enter first the current password ***** power-On, then the new password ***** want to change it to, then this has to be done exactly right or it will be refused.

E.g.: it may be in some BIOS Setups, you cannot disable the power-On password ***** one is set.

As for the Windows password... the chips on the laptop will never do anything about that. It is essentially on the hard disk, in the software.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
After I cicuited c500 I can get on load Windows and when it is dine asking for user (Sandy) password ***** she forgot and I cannot do anything further. Where is B 500on theMBAlso even though I am trying to enter bios on set up, it will not let me

Oh. That's different.

I'm not sure I can advise you further on this case, so with regret I must Opt Out.

(For whatever Expert takes this case: changing the power-On password ***** disabling it appears to depend upon getting into BIOS Setup. Windows password ***** user 'Sandy' also not known by questioner.)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your help. I want to cancel my account right now