Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop expert
50836188

I was given a laptop. The previous owner doesn't remember

Customer Question

Hello. I was given a laptop. The previous owner doesn't remember the password ***** reset it. Can you help?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

Hi!

Which password ***** you referring to on the laptop?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The hard disk password.
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

What is the make/model of the laptop?

Also, do you mean BIOS password? What is showing on your screen when asking for a password?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's an Acer aspire 4720Z
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The model is some Japanese characters then Z01
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It says "Enter Hard Disk Password"
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That is the only thing that comes on when I first turn it on.
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

The hard drive password ***** ***** of the few passwords that are near impossible to crack. There are cracking programs that state they can crack the hard drive but I have never seen one work properly. In this case, you will need to replace the hard drive in the laptop.

If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Awww. So do I still get charged the $38?
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately, yes. It would be similar to having a company diagnosing the issue even if it is a bad-news type situation.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. I wish they would've told me this before, I feel ripped off.
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

I understand but I work in technical side and do not work with payments.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well, I thought it was $5 to ask a question, and $33 after the problem was solved. Isn't that why there's a guarantee? I am really low on funds.
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry but I work on the technical side; not the customer service side.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your time. I'm sorry I took so long to reply. I had to do some work to cover the charge to get advice. Have a great evening. Again, thank you for your time.
Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

Expert:  Josh replied 8 months ago.

I have not heard back from you in a while -- If the issue is resolved, please rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.