Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  15 Years saving Laptops from the recyling bin! Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Ok, who are you again? : and you're going to try and help me

Customer Question

ok, who are you again?
JA: I am Pearl, the Computer Technician's Assistant.
Customer: and you're going to try and help me free of charge?
JA: The Computer Technician's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: how much "payment" and for what specific service in this cas?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Computer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: my acer laptop model aspire 6935 will not load an operating system when ac power is attached. tHere is no operating system on the hard drive. It will however, boot up and run a linux os live boot usb on battery power only- It starts and runs normally in bios with ac attached, but shuts down if booting an os when ac attached.
JA: Good tech support is often the difference between a quick fix and many sleepless nights. The Computer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Computer Technician should know?
Customer: I am familiar with hard drive issues and operating system loading, not necessarily mother board problems. The charging power supply charges the battery, and operates the start up procedure into bios, but when loading an os, it shuts down when attached to ac. When on battery power alone, there is no problem with power, os, or other operations. runs normally on battery power alone.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

When you purchased that computer, did it ship with windows 8 or 10, or windows 7 or below?

This is an important distinction as it will let us know whether the BIOS uses CSM / Legacy or UEFi

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It was windows vista, but I've since installed a new hard drive and am attmepting to run a Linux live boot usb.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can boot into bios with ac plugged in.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
but will not load operating system unless using battery power ONLY
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Understood. What happens if you load in battery power.. Wait to be fully loaded, and then plug in the AC cord.

Also, are you sure you have the 6935 and not the 6935G ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I definitely have the 6935. If I load Linux live boot- NOT installed on hard drive yet- in batt power, it runs normally- all systems go. When I plug in ac power (I have tested this on two different known "good" power converters, including the original) the computer shuts down immediately. This is while linux is running normally. If ac is plugged in computer will start and run through bios, but shuts down when Linux is asked to load.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Thats a problem.. D efinitely a bios error and not the power cord.

The problem is, even if you download the bios from this page http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

It almost always will tell you that you need to plug in the ac cord to install the bios, you could try ( but dont plug in the ac cord as we dont want to crash the computer during a bios update )

next question, if you remove the battery, and the power cord, and press and hold power for 30 seconds.

And trhen plug in just the power cord ( not the b attery )

Can you boot that way?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried that exact procedure already...It simply runs through the same motion...Powers up to usb boot screen with linux os...when I try to load the OS, it shuts down then starts up again to the same screen...about a 30 second complete cycle on and off.
ON batt. power, all is well...
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

You have linux loaded on a USB ?

Have you tried loading an OS on an internal hard drive and seeing if you can boot that way?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The computer runs ok with ac power in bios and on initial boot up Intel screen- says check cable connection! No bootable device
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The computer was shutting down and restarting when trying to load the original Vista OS, that's when I began troubleshooting- installed a new hard drive. I don't think it's an issue with the usb boot disk...I've used it many times on other systems. It seems to shut down when trying to load ANY operating system...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't have linux on a cd or dvd...I suppose I could try, but I doubt it would install. The dvd drive does operate normally however. The fact that the original Vista would not load and the shutdown-restart cycle began there, leads me away from the OS boot format being an issue...just my guess! :)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm curious aboaut the bios issue...it will power up and go to bios on ac...can I install the bios update that way?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Should I try to download the drivers with batt. power only? It it brand new and has full charge..
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll wait for your response...thank you!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
you must be very busy, I appreciate your help...
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Ive tried to type t his message three times now.

You can attempt the bios update using just the battery, but if it asks to plug in the Ac adapter, dont do that.

On a side note, have you tried inserting the vista hard drive, and booting while using the ALt F10 recovery function?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you mean the original hard drive that I removed? No, I have not.. not sure how Windows has anything to do with the computer shutting down when power cord is plugged in?
BTW, I don't want Windows on my laptop at this point. I don't see drivers for bios on the screen from the link you gave me. Only shows drivers for Windows OS.
Are you saying there's a possibility to recover Windows Vista from the old hard drive and it will load without shutting the computer off? I could try that, but where wil you be during that time...LOL
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Could this be a motherboard problem?
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

My thought process is this.. Maybe doing a simple ALT F10 factory restore on vista would allow us to use the power cord long enough to run the bios update.. And that may solve the issue and allow you to run on AC power from a USB drive as the boot source.

Also, the bios update most likely was written as an exe file, more easily ran from windows in most cases, rat hen then linux / ubuntu

and it could very well be a motherboard issue ( the bios being part of the mot herboard ) or it could even be the DC jack failing ..

Most often though, what you described is a classic bios failure issue..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Interesting...Is it imperative that the computer be on AC power to run the BIOS update? Is it a lengthy installation? As I said, the battery is brand new and fully charged. Is it super hard to run the update in linux terminal? I have medium skills in that area..:)
Alternatively, I can reinstall the old drive if you can help me through the factory restore procedure
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Its not imperative, and the update is usually less then five minutes.

The issue is, t hey build an ac power check into the bios flash tool, so it checks if ac power is available before allowing the update. ( about 90% of the time )

Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

The factory restore procedure is pretty easy.

Shut down the computer, start it and immediately press and hold the ALT key and the F10 key.

You have to press those keys in the first half second after pressing power to start the computer, and hold them.

Sometimes, you have to hold ALT and rapidly tap f10..

It sometimes takes 4-5 tries to load into the acer recovery partition but once you do, the rest is just a few clicks to tell it to restore.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I see...It will take me just a few minutes to get the hard drive in,
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Take your time, Ive still got 4 hours on shift today.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, drive is in...I will connect AC and battery and follow instructions.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

All right, keep me posted.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, screen says windows failed to start... Launch Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally...I do remember going through this part...with AltF10, but could not get past...keeps rebooting and shutting down..
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

You can only trigger ALT and F10 , when you very first press power. ( its like a bios key, you only have a very small window to hit the keys )

Sometimes, you have to tap F8 instead and choose repair your computer, and then go for the full system recovery that way.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is the Windows Error Recovery Screen...pressed AltF10 almost immediately after power...the choice on this screen is Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally...I'll try F8
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
same screen when I hit F8..I choose Launch Startup Repair and it goes to Wiindows is loading files, goes to Microsoft loading bar and shuts right down, then reboots into the same cycle...aaaahhh
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Question though.. Is it running on AC power with the hard drive installed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sir, it is....I just tried with battery only and now different screen...a lite blue screen with Startup Repair box asking if I wand to restore using System Restore?...I believe I have gone through this but maybe you have insight..
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm on battery only now...this system restore option would not come up plugged in to AC...only shuto down restart cycle.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Couldnt hurt to try system restore.

Then see if it gives a system recovery option.. if its only system restore. Then go back to the oldest date you can see after clicking show more or show older restore points.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I seem to remember now, Justin that I've been through all this jazz before and got nowhere...just kept "attempting repair" I never got to an actual restore point screen...I am familiar with Windows, when it's actually functioning normally, but I've not had much luck when things go wrong...especially with Windows built in "fixers" lol
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm on battery only now, that's the only was this screen would come up...I'm afraid to plug in now...I guess I will wait unless you have an idea. Still ""Attempting repairs"..screen
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is one reason I tried Linux and I'm just about sold on Lubuntu, Mint and LXLE...shame I have to deal with Window to get OFF of Windows...haha
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Im not sure what else to add. Seems were stuck in a situation where we cant upgrade the bios, and even then if its a mainboard issue outside of the bios, wed be out of luck.

Im not sure whether you would consider it worth it or not, but you may have to dissemble and replace the mainboard.. As that would fix the Power issue.

http://amzn.to/1NVomHr

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am willing and able to replace the mbo if you think that's most likely the issue and will correct the bios. If I can figure out how to flash the Bios in Linux, would you recommend that first?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, says "startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically" so now it's asking about system recovery, but I don't know the password...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dustin, I have the System Recovery Options screen now. Options are,
Startup Repair
System Restore
System Image Recovery
Windows Memory Diagnostic
Command Prompt
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

System image recovery is what we want..

As far as flashing the bios in linux, youve still go the no ac power issue in linux yes? In which case the bios wont let you flash it ..

The motherboard would definitely solve the issue. Just make sure to order a small tube of thermal paste for the cpu, as when you remove your current cpu from the current motherboard you will need the thermal paste to attach the heatsync to the cpu in the new motherboard.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Understood about cpu sink...I just remembered this system was upgraded or somehow Windows 7 was installed...It's now asking to choose Window 7 recovery on Local Disk...here it goes....ok, already says Window cannot find a system image on this computer...Attach back up disk, Retry, close dialog...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Pressed Retry, now "Re-image your computer" box, suggesting I select a system image backup...huh?
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

If its not showing the acer system image.. T hen the recovery partition must be missing or damaged..

end of the line for that process..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Got it..ok. Last ditch,,I went back and trying a system restore...found an old date, now running...hang in awhile and see what happens, unless you know it won't find anyth
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

If the system restore goes through correctly. Theres always a chance that the computer may boot )( after one more startup repair )

D.S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dustin!! Windows 7 came up...I had done a system restore just now and it says it was not successful...then automatically rebooted into the main desktop...on batt. power now...should I try to plug in??? HELP
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
System Restore box open now...says did not complete successfully. files and settings were not changed.
Failed to extract the file something about Native Images and Microsoft Security..the restore point was damaged or was deleted during the restore.
Asking if I want to run restore again and try different date...what should I do now. system on battery, 2.5 hours remaining, but I see no wireless connection capability in the corner...
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Lets not run system restore again.

Instead.. Lets try to download and run the bios update.. Maybe well get lucky~

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm on batt power now, should I shut off and plug in, or plug in now....
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Lets try the following

Go to Device Manager/System Devices and uninstall ACPI Power Button and ACPI System Button. If there is a listing for Advanced Power Management Support, remove all listings for such. You'll be prompted to reboot after removing each, during restart Windows will reinstall the driver for each

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think this Windows 7 may be corrupted by the installer person..I don't see wireless connectivity now, but I can connect to ethernet, correct? I will follow your instructions first..
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, I'm online wireless now...WOW, haven't been here in awhile..ok, going to follow previous intructions...will post.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

The wireless adapter may need to be right clicked and enabled from the device manager.

Or, the driver may need to be reinstalled from the acer site.. Hard to tell this early on, and with it not booting in quite some time..

D.S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
got wireless, can't find ACPI system button...DO find ACPI Power Button, will uninstall.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

All right.. Restart after the uninstall.. And continue looking for anything ACPI or the Advanced power management support

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
uninstall ACPI Power Button have not rebooted, see many ACPI features...Fan, Fixed Feature Button, Lid, Thermal Zone, etc.
Is Advanced Power mgmt. a subdirectory somewhere?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Restarted computer, will look for ACPI System or APM...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, removed the stated ACPIs rebooted twice, says drivers for power button installed...now what? still on battery power, 90 minutes remain
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
windows is loading updates, 15 per cent finished...
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Allright.. It should have enough time to finish before the battery gets low..

D.S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
battery life is now approx. 55 minutes.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
window update at 40 plus percent
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Looks like it should finish before the battery runs out..

Race against time eh?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
updates finished,,,,ok go
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

All right.. Im assuming that the power cord still shuts the machine off..

Or have you tried it yet? ( with windows running )

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
have not tried yet
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
never had wiindows running to find out..lol
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
should I plug power in?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hello?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
34 minutes left
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

My apologies for the delay.. weve hit the end of my shift.

Id go ahead and attempt to plug the power in, and if that doesnt work.. Charge the computer and we can try to continue tomorrow or later in the week.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, thanks Dustin for you help...how can I reach you? heyyyy heyyy, its on, it's onnn powered by ac and still running!!! Is there anything else I should check? What was it that solved the problem,,can you tell me?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Wow...that is awesome, I was getting downhearted there....whatever you did I hope that was the issue and solution..my hat is off to you, but I need to run also.
Thanks again, Dustin.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Hello again, and my apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Glad to hear all is well.. Reinstalling the power control system devices through the device manager must have done the trick!

Since it can run off AC power, id strongly consider that bios update now.

With that being said, when you can please dont forget to return here and click and submit a star rating, as currently this support session shows as unsolved, with no help given.

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Good morning Dustin...Unfortunately, I'm back to the same issue...something happened with the darn windows updates, over 100 of them. When I tried to shut down after they finished it said they were not installed correctly and went into the same reboot cycle with the power plugged in...I'm on battery now trying to get to system restore through startup repair..
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Ahhh.. Windows updates... Heres my advice.. When we get the machine running this time, completely turn off windows updates.

As clearly one of those updates is causing a severe issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, in system restore box now. what date should I chose as restore point?
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Id say yesterday or last night if its showing.. Right before the updates tried to install.

But worst case scenario go back to the earliest point you can, and we can walk through the repairs again from there

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, I chose the first date/time I saw from last night, around 1.00am...restoring files now...
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Hopefully that was before the windows updates started.. That way, the work we did to get the AC power corrected, will still be intact.

Then, just make sure you go into the control panel, windows update, and tell it to never download or install updates

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hmmm, I guess it didn't catch the updates- message says restore could not be completed...so this time I'll chose the earliest date, the same as yesterday's restore...will post when finished. Thanks again...
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

All right.. Sounds like a plan..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, again system restore din not complete successfully...unspecified error asking if I want to run again or restart or shutdown...?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
restarted system now it's goine into chkdsk checking file system on C:
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Id allow chkdsk to complete, and then.. Let it run a startup repair if needed.

Then, lets try an F8 safe mode start.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, I missed the f8 and it started into windows 7, should I reboot into safe mode...? Still on battery only...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Windows 7 running, says system restore completed successfully Please advise. How do I turn off Windows Update?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Should I remove ACPI pwr button?
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

If were in windows 7.. Lets not reboot.. Instead..

Go into control panel, windows updates, and completely turn them off.. Set them to never download or install

Then, go to the device manager.. And lets start looking for these items and uninstalling them

look for anything ACPI or the Advanced power management support

Ideally, if we repeat the same steps as before, we should end up at the same result

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, Dustin. I've turned off Windows Updates. Now, I see several ACPI devices in addition to the ACPI Power Button...do you want me to uninstall ALL of them? Thermal Zone, Lid , Fan, Fixed Feature Button....? I see nothing regarding Advance Power Mgmt.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Lets go with power button.. Lid, and fixed feature button.

When you uninstall, do not click the button that says uninstall driver too..

Afterwords, restart .. And let the device startup.. Then, try plugging in the ac power and lets see what happens.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Also, now that the computer is booted and online.. Remote support is also an option..

D.S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Darn! I plugged in and it shut down immediately....but now for first time it's asking if I want safe mode..should I boot into safe mode?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, now it auto rebooted and is cycling to Windows Error Recovry screen
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Question.. did we remove the devices, restart, allow the computer to fully start.. And then plug in the power cord?

Or, did we plug the power cord in before windows started?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, I waited untill everything was booted up into windows normally all was well...soon as I plugged in ...bam,,,off. Now it's back to the same cycle...unplugged and on battery only, boots into windows and wants startup repair and system restore AGAIN..ugggg
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
On battery only, startp repair says restart to finish repair, so now booting normally into Windows 7 ...Will try to plug in AC Again unless otherwise advised
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Plugged in AC, system shuts of and reboots int Window Errer Recovery...ok, now I'm in safe mode with networking plugged into AC.
Whew!!
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Perfect.. Bios update time..

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Make sure to choose your current OS, then bios. Then download the bios update.. Open it, and run the setup or exe file inside.

Then, just let the computer reboot or do its thing normally, and do not interrupt it

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm in safe mode, but can't detect wireless, soo not online...need help to connect or maybe use ethernet...advise please.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Ahh.. Go into the device manager. Go to network adapters, what do you see?

And if you right click each one, is there an enable option? If you see enable, enable it.. As that may be all you need to do is enable the wireless adapter.

Otherwise, just plug in the ethernet cord directly to your router, and youll be online.

D.S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I see Atheros AR8121 Ethernet Controller and Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN, but no 'enable"...both have disable option...
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Ok, so you have both the ethernet and the wireless adapters.

Lets try this.. Restart the computer normally, click windows, power, restart.

What happens?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, it starts to boot into Windows, Microsoft black screen "loading" for two seconds, then shuts down, reboots now into Windows Error Recovery, then cycles throught repeatedly....no option for safe mode now...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm getting frustrated Dustin, need focus...should have hooked up to ethernet while in safe, networking mode...can't get back to safe mode now......
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

lets keep the ac cord removed for now.. that should get us back into safe..

And then, we need to run a cmd line repair, sfc /scannow

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
in batt mode it boots to startup repair, then asks for system restore AGAIN..that's where I am now. Do you want to restore your computer using System Restore? F8 does NOT bring a safe mode option, only Windows Error Recorvery screen...then startup repair..etc...
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

exit out.. remove the battery.. press and hold power for 30 seconds.

Boot with just the battery..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
boots into Window Error Recovery again auto windows loading files, etc. microsoft screen, then blue background startup repair...seaching for problems......do you want system restore? wow
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
don't give up Dustin, we had Windows working on AC power at one point...do I need to do a system restore ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Need to get into safe mode...
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

After you press power and hold it to force a shut down. Wait 3 seconds, then start the machine and immediately start rapidly tapping the f8 key..

Does that bring you to the safe mode screen.. If so, make sure you choose safe mode with networkiing.

And id repeat the above a couple of times till it lets you into safe mode.

D.S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no, it brings me to that darn Windows Eerror Recorveryw with only startup repair or launch windows normally...
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

launch windows normally and then immediately start tapping the f8 key.. Safe mode options?

If not, run startup repair.. ( whats clear is the boot sector is pretty badly corrupted, hence the issues were having)

May want to consider getting a windows 7 iso, creating a valid install disk. And then formatting the hard drive and clean installing windows.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, don't ask me how combinatioin of plug in , plug out, rebooting, F8 I'm in Advanced Boot option, with safe mode, etc....what do you suggest now, safe mode with networking?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would rather not have Windows on this machine...do you think I can update the bios now and get a Linux os loaded?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is the Bios issue the reason I cannot load a different OS other than Windows 7?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Waiting at Safe mode screen...
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

safe mode with networking, as stated before..

Once your in, lets see if we can get net access.

D.S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
tried safe mode with networking, hung up after loading several files, stopppe...tried again, stoopped in the same place, now can't get safe mode again,,uggghhh
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

when you try safe mode and it hangs up on any file.. Write down the full line of t ext that it stops on, word for word.

That will tell us whats stopping windows from loading

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the loading stops at: \Windows\system32\DRIVERS\avgidsha.sysOk, when I was uninstalling the ACPI items, I also saw an AVG program in programs and features and I attempted to uninstall it, but it wouldn't let me...
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

AVg is causing the issue.

When we get back into safe mode.. We need to try again to uninstall AVG.. Hopefully if we can connect the ethernet with safe mode and get in.. We can download and install a program called revo uninstaller, which can do a full removal down to the registry level, of AVG..

Since AVg is whats blocking us from booting into windows ..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I'm in safe mode networking with power plugged in...now my touch pad isn't responding, no cursor...aaahh
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Do you have a mouse that you can plug in, usb?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i'll try..
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, mouse works...scscscreen says you must restart computer to apply device driver chchanges....
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will connect ethernet now...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, i am online in safe mode...power plugged in...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
try to uninstall AVG in Programs and Features?
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Lets not restart. Instead, maybe its time we move to a secure remote session, So I can connect and work on repairing some of the problems directly?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Let's continue for now, thanks Dustin...I'll let you know if I decide otherwise...:)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you want me to try and uninstall AVG?
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Yes.. but use the revo uninstaller program, and after you click AVG to uninstall it inside revo.

Click the advanced button.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

All you need is the free t rial, dont purchase the program!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, downloading now...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, I see the AVG program in the list, I will click...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Clicke on AVG, shows details, I don't see Advanced Options...
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

you have to install revo..

And t hen open revo.. And inside of revo, double click avg.. Start the uninstall.

Once it runs through or fails the normal windows uninstall, you will see a pop up screen with three options.. Click advanced or the far right option and have it scan for leftover files.

Select all and delete, scan again, select all delete.

Then, AVG will be gone. Try restarting the computer and seeing if it boots normally.

If not, try safe mode and see if it gets stuck on a different file .. If so, report back what it is and we will go from there.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, clicked uninstall, now shows initial analysis
Creating a full Registry backup - done
Creating System Restore Point- failed
Analysing and starting program uninstaller...green check
After program's uninstaller finishe, press Scan button.Selected "Advanced" button, but Scan box is not highlighted
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Is there a next button that highlights when you click advanced?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no, only scan and cancel in lower right, cancel is highlighted , scan is not...ugh
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

try clicking different bubbles, and switching back and forth and seeing if scan will highlight

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
tried that, safe, moderate, advanced, scan not lit.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
cancel and try again?
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

If it already uninstalled AVG ?

Then cancel revo.. Restart and lets see if it hangs on a a different file or boots

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
how do I know if It uninstalled AVG?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, tried cancel and it did the same, it appears that it may have finished the uninstall, was just looking to scan for leftover files..will follow your instructions...now.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Cancel out of the scan window.

Close avg and open it.. Is AVG still showing?>

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
AVG is still showing in control panel....
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

IS AVG st ill showing in REVO ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
but there is a "forced install" feature that needs AVG exact name and this box has "advanced" button and next button..what is AVG exact name, how do I enter name and full path to program file or folder..?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, it's AVG 2015..I entered that name and it lists 3 programs associated. I think that's all Revo needs the advanced button is cheked and next button is highlighted..here we go....
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dustin, question? It reads....Select a built-in uninstaller from the list if you want to use it during the uninstall process.
Then a box is 'checked' reads Run the selected built-in uninstallerThen the scanning modes selections....Built in and Safe and Moderated and Advanced, which I have selected.
Should I leave the box checked or remove check? ugggAlso, it only lets me select or highlight one of the three AVG programs at a time..please advise.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

excellent,

I have to take a short break.. I skipped lunch and dinner is due.. So ill be back in half an hour.. I wont be able to reply before then

Choose advanced, and start with one avg program. And then after its complete.. See if it still finds others.

if so, repeat advanced, scan, select all, delete.. for each avg listed

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, AVG is showing in Revo, but size is 0kb...Revo listed the leftover AVG files in the registry and I deleted them all. Now AVG does NOT show up in Programs, Uninstall...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Wow, AVG is no longer listed in Revo or Programs/Features...ok, will follow instructions again...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok,,,,, booting in safe mode, loading hung up on same files, but then loaded window 7 in safe mode . The files are listed in the Windows System32 directory as drivers. should I or how can I delete them avgidsha.sys avgdiska.sys avgrkx64.sys avgidsdrivera.sys avgmfx64.sys avgloga.sys avgldx64.sys
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Locate all those files in your windows / system 32 folder.

And when you find one right c;lick it and rename it to avg*8etc*8 .old

Its only the end of the file name you need to change to .old

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, I just saw that procedure on the AVG website in the rescue disk...I'll try it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, they've all seven been changed and I removed every trace of avg....from registry..hope that was ok...
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Another reboot, should let us know.. ( there could be a myriad of other issues, but we could get lucky and that may be the last roadblock )

keep me posted as to what happens when we reboot

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nope, shuts down again, reboots into windows error recovery..If I finagle the ac power and plug in just after it starts, i can get into safe mode,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, now loading hangs up on Windows\System32\'ClassPNP but still lloads into safe mode....
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

In safe mode, open an elevated command prompt.. Or right click the command prompt and run it as an administrator

Then, copy and paste this command and hit enter

rename c:\windows\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys classpnp.old

Reboot.. Still hang at class pnp?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, let me try that.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

All right.. Standing by~

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can get into safe mode ok, is there something we need to do there concerning bios update...I'll follow your intstructions...
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Lets hold off on the bios update till we have a handle on the various errors.

Lets go back to the command prompt, and run this command

sfc /scannow

Once it completes, reboot and see if we get stuck on any files during a normal startup

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the previous command got me "access denied"
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
got it scanning now
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
rebooting...normal startup still shuts down with power ac in...will try in safe moode,, see where it hangs up..
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Still hangs on class pnp, but boots in to safe mode...next?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ooops, never mind didn't boot into safe mode this time, let me try again,,,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, I'm in safe with networking...
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Question.. Are we running in safe mode, with the AC adapter.

If so, its time to go to the acer support site for your model, and download the bios.. And time to try installing it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
darn thing runs ok in safe mode with networking, I'm online and plugged in to ac....I don't understand that..hmmmm
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sir, we are in safe mode, networking, online all sys go!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, just to verify...I'm on Acer Aspire 6935, Windows 7 64bit, BIOS/Firmware then click Download, correct?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, Bios is downloaded, but I'm not real familiar with zip files, please advise...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
anytime you're ready, I'll hang out at the keyboard...:)
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

All we should need to do..

Is double click the zipped folder.

then inside of it, should be a setup application, or setup exe file. Double click that, and then it will go through the install process on screen, you may have to click next, ok, etc..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sorry, not that easy for me...LOL double clicking only opens more files...if i right click it says extract All, Install with Revo and even Scan with AVG!!! how could that be? yikes.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I double click it opens up to two folders, one Windows and one Dos...If I open them each I don't see an exe file anywhere..
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

extract all, watch the folder path.

Then, once extracted open the extracted folder and find the setup exe file.. or setup application

And windows is the one inside you want

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I hate to get hung up hear at the easy part, but I'm just not seeing any exe files in the windows folder,...just IFd packer Application, InsydeFlash Application iscflash.sy iscflashx64.sys Win32 DLL etc.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

This is the one we want

InsydeFlash Application

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, says InsydeFlash can not load the driver. Please close all applications. If running in Vista, run as admin.....ok box is highlighted. Is it because I have browser open?
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

it could be.. also, you may need to right click inside flash, and run it as admin

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
did that run as admin...closed browser, still says Can not load driver...I double clicked InsydeFlash Application
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

The folder must have extracted incorrectly..

Being that Im not there, its hard for me to say what happened.

You could start at the beginning with the zip folder, right click the entire folder.. extract it.

Then, open a new window and go to the extracted location. Then, run the insyde flash program

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Could it be the iFdPacker application that is also exe file?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
wow, I deleted all the downloads, went back to Acer site, downloaded again, exracted all, run as administator the InsydeFlash app, still the sam message...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
can I try to download onto a usb stick and open from there? or would it make a diff?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm about to give you permission to remote connect if you can give me a price on your services so far AND including the remote access if I grant it...:) I have to get going in about 30 minutes, so please advise..
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Understood.. Maybe it would be best to setup the remote connection for later tonight.. Or tomorrow?

if you have to leave in 30 minutes.. Im not sure if wed be able to connect and run teh update, and even if we could.. Wed still get cut short before we could run through further repairs.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think that's best, ***** ***** a tip concerning the drivers not loading for InsydeFlash, let me see if it worked...one sec
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No go on that ...was reading that bios updates are sketchy sometimes and 64bit Windows is not friendly to them? Will take a break for today and try again...tomorrow..Did you get me a quote on the remote access Dustin? I would appreciate that at this point.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Ive sent the offer to you, at the standard value. Its not mandatory that we go into remote ( though it would cut down on the time t o completion substantially_)

I will keep an eye out for your replies tomorrow, or later tonight.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Dustin, maybe later tonight if you're around or tomorrow...contact me please and we'll go from there..have a good night.
Steve
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

All right Steve.. Ill be working till midnight ( 5 more hours )

So Ill leave it up to you to contact me, and let me know when you want to continue.

Goodnight!

D.S