Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

I have a Toshiba satellite s70t- which has just stopped

Customer Question

i have a Toshiba satellite s70t-b which has just stopped working. it says that I will need to use recovery discs. I made some ( 3 x dvd)) but cannot find how to get it to accept them?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. Did you create that 3 DVDs long ago when your computer was still working fine?Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
a year or so ago just after I bought the computer
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I turn it on ( have tried many times in case) the Toshiba screen comes up and the turning wheel but it doesn't get past this. Not sure how to get it to accept the discs. Earlier it had said that the problem would need the discs . Any thoughts Jess?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information. Is this laptop running with Windows 7, 8 or 10?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Jess, I have windows 10. I am keen to learn myself so will pass on the remote in offer at the moment thanks
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. Please disregard the remote offer since we cannot do it on your problem laptop.Now, please describe to me the locked screen. Is the mouse pointer working on the locked screen?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I turn the computer on the toshiba standard symbol and arrows and a turning wheel underneath go on as usual. This sits for a while then the screen is still lit but with nothing on it. No mouse or anything else works. don't think it gets to loading anything of use?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.
the system is totally frozen. It could be caused by a bad system update, or corrupt windows installation.The very first thing that you can try is to boot the computer into Safe Mode.Please press the power button and hold it until the system shuts off.Leave it for 5 minutes to cool off. After 5 minutes, turn it ON and then after turning it ON, press and hold the SHIFT key, and keep tapping the F8 key.The goal is to access the recovery screen where you can boot the system into Safe Mode.Keep me posted.Jess
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Jess, I have tried this several times over with the same result as above -the shift f8 had no effect
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.
Ok. I am very sorry for the persisting issues. Since you are no longer able to boot the system to Windows, your next option is to use the recovery DVD to restore the computer to factory settings. Everything will be wiped out and the system will be installed like new. Your data will be lost as well in the process. Are you ready with your DVDs now?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Jess, I have just tried again. This time I put the first recovery disc in the player before turning it on. The machine started up like normal???? Who ever would trust a machine that can only count up to one...
Now I'm scared. I have done backups (7) histories (10) and recovery disks before but it seems I now have another chance!!! Should i make a replacement set of recovery discs now that i have upgraded to w10? What other actions (if any) do you suggest that I do before it breaks again
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.
Hi,Thank you for writing back with that information. Can I remotely access your computer so that I can check the health of your Windows system, fix incompatible software since you mentioned you upgraded to Windows 10, and optimize it to avoid having this problem again.Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.Please let me know if you want this remote option.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the offer Jess but I'm not sure what you can do for this fee as the thing is working again
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.
Like what I already mentioned, I can check the health of your system so that it will not happen again. I can also assist you in placing a backup and restore system on your computer.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no thanks Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.
You're welcome. Just let me know when you need it later.Best regards,Jess