Rylan Sharpe
Rylan Sharpe, IT Manager
Experience:  IT Manager at an international company

I turn on my laptop and the Acer logo appears and the white

Customer Question

Hello, I turn on my laptop and the Acer logo appears and the white dots under it are going in a circle and then the screen turns black. I can move the white arrow around the black screen. Also the computer makes a whirring noise.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Rylan Sharpe replied 5 months ago.
Helo, my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you with the problem you are having. I have a couple questions. Can I have the exact model number of the Acer? Also, did the whirring noise start at the same time? Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The model number is ***** And yes the whirring sound started at the same time.
Thank you. I just confirmed that your computer has a Hybrid hard drive. That means that it has both flash memory (non-moving) and a hard disk drive (spinning drive). Most likely the noise is from the hard drive failing, which also explains why your machine will not boot like normal. That hard drive should be replaced to get your computer to turn on. Now, the bigger issue, do you have a backup of your data on that computer?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Rylan, I am sorry for getting back to you so late.I took my laptop to a computer store and they said that I just had to turn it on and wait for 2 hours. thank you anyway
Thank you for reporting back about your issue. Is the noise gone now and it boots up just fine?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the noise is gone and the computer turns on. the problem I had was not that the computer didn't turn on. it was that when I turned the computer on there was a whirring noise and tHere would be white dots going in a circle and never getting past that. I am at work now and left my computer on so I don't know how it is. the man at the computer store said to leave it like that for 2 hours butt I had to go to work so I won't know until later. thank you
okay, great. Enjoy the rest of your day and let me know if all is well. Thank you.