flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant 30 years in nyc computer industry working with PC and networks banks brokerage legal etc.
23372949

MY HP Pavilion g7-1070us Notebook PC shuts down and when I

Customer Question

MY HP Pavilion g7-1070us Notebook PC shuts down and when I start it up there is a message saying the operating temp was 900 degrees. Any thoughts? The fan is working.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, I look forward to assisting you today. First if it was truly 900 degrees, about the only thing you would have is a mound of plastic. Have you checked the vents?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the vents are clear but the unit does feel warm. Regardless of the temp it is shutting down. When it turn it back on that's when the message appears. The unit does come back up with no apparent issues.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Does the computer shut down right away after you restart it, or does it take awhile? Also, how old is it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It takes awhile. The unit is about 6 years old.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Does it always indicate the temp as being 900 degrees?
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 6 months ago.
It is overheating. The fans are probably caked with dust and cant move enough air to keep it cool. You can clean or replace the fans but it requires opening the computer up and finding them.