Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

My laptop, a Yoga Pro, had an automatic update yesterday but

Customer Question

My laptop, a Yoga Pro, had an automatic update yesterday but failed to restart. When I turned it off, then turned it back on, the Lenovo logo comes up but then the screen goes black. What should I do? Help!
Thanks, Valerie
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
Hi Valerie, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. Is the laptop now turned ON? If yes, can you see the mouse pointer on screen?Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No it is completely black
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't know how you can securely connect if the screen is blank
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
I am sorry, please disregard that prompt since we cannot use that support option in your case.Now, please press and hold the power button of your laptop until it will force to turn OFF.Please tell me when it is off.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is off nwo
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. Please allow it to cool down for 5 to 10 minutes.After that, please turn it ON and see if you get the repair screen or recovery screen since the laptop was forced to turn OFFKeep me posted.Jess
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Same thing - Lenovo came up, circle of dots then it went black
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
Ok. Sorry for the persisting issues. Can you please check if the HDD led of your laptop is blinking fast or steady or if it is not blinking at all?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is steady
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
Ok, it means it is working on the background though the screen is not showing anything. The system could still be recovering and busy. To test it further, please press the NUMLOCK key or the CAPS LOCK key. Is the corresponding NumLock led or Caps Lock led lit? We just need to confirm if the system has frozen already.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is not blinking
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
Please check my last reply
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes caps lock key is lit
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
And is it turning off when pressing the Caps Lock key again?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
Ok, it is indeed working in the background so I suggest that you please allow it to continue working on the background as Windows could be recovering. Just monitor if it has frozen already. The indicator that it has frozen is when the HDD led is not lit and not blinking which indicates NO disk activity, and when the NumLock and Caps Lock leds are not toggling when pressing the corresponding key.Give it 15 to 30 minutes and let me know if it freezes by that time or not.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok will do
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. Please take your time. I will just standby here for your next reply.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nothing happens!
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
Please turn OFF the laptop and tell me when it is OFF.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is off
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have to go out for 30 mins - can I connect with you when I get back?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. Please turn ON the computer and as it is booting up, press Shift+F8 repeatedly until you see the advanced boot menu options.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just did that but nothing happened
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
Still going directly to the black screen?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.
Hi Valerie,How is it going? Were you able to boot your problem computer into Safe Mode to perform a system restore?Please let me know so that I can assist you further.Best regards,Jess