Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Engineer with 7+ yrs. experience as a software troubleshooter, developer & hardware support.
22727371

HAVE BOUGHT NEW BATTERY AND AC ADAPTER 6400. WILL

Customer Question

HAVE BOUGHT NEW BATTERY AND AC ADAPTER FOR INSPIRON 6400. WILL NOT BOOT UP. NO LIGHTS. NOTHING.!!!
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Laptop Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Laptop Technician should know?
Customer: IT WENT OFF A FEW DAYS AGO. THATS WHEN I REPLACED BATTERY AND AC ADAPTER.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Laptop Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Md. Sadique replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. I look forward to assisting you today with the best answer possible.
When you plug in the charger cord, does the charge indicator light on the laptop glows ? Or, its completely dead. No lights nothing
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Completely dead. No lights. Have purchased new adapter and bettery.
Okay
I am afraid to say that the DC power jack of your laptop has gone bad. If the laptop's DC power jack is faulty then the power doesn't even reach the laptop's motherboard. As a result of which neither the battery charges nor the laptop powers on without the battery.Some power jacks(power receptacle) fail under normal operation of your computer. After a year or two of usage. After the jack is moved back and forth enough times ( when you insert the power adapter cord and then remove it many times, it comes loose).Generally a new DC power jack will cost around 2-6$.Do you have electronic equipment repair experience ?Do you have soldering knowledge ?There are usually four terminals of the DC jack connected to the motherboard.Check all the solder drops of all the four terminals for burnt marks.If you don't find anything wrong then also we will have to desolder all the four terminals and then re-solder all of them again.Before resoldering you also need to check whether the DC jack is working alright or not.For that remove the DC jack completely from the motherboard and then connect the charger cord to the DC power jack and then test the four terminals of the DC power jack using a multimeter to see whether current is flowing or not.If the current is not flowing then you will have to replace the DC power jack with a new one else resolder the old DC power jack.If you are you comfortable working with electronic components & circuitry and a soldering iron then you can try all the above process else the best bet will be to go to a local repair shop.Please let me know what you want to do.Sorry to give you a bad news.Regards
Please rate my service by clicking on one of the stars at the top > then click Submit.