Nathan, Systems Manager
Experience:  Own/operate IT/networking company.

I have a HP dv6 laptop that gets too hot what should I do?

Customer Question

I have a HP dv6 laptop that gets too hot what should I do? I have restore discs but they are for xp, I am using Windows 7. I do not know what to do, can you give me options?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Getting too hot is not a software issue, or any other setting or configuration issue.It is a common problem with laptops as they age and components inside start to wear. Initially, clean the laptop as best you can by blowing out all of the vent holes on the bottom and edges with compressed air, and then vacuum them off thoroughly when done.That will help clear out dust and debris inside that contribute to poor airflow.If that does not help sufficiently, adding an external cooler pad would be the next step. Example:
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was not happy that I paid $40.00 for that answer, I already knew that and had done those things so to me it was time I wasted. The money was taken out of my account before I received an answer which was of no help. Thank you any way. Betty Cutler
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Hi Betty.Unfortunately I have no way of knowing what you've done or may already know, if it isn't explicitly mentioned here. Otherwise I would not have wasted either of our time. Simply put though, there is no setting or software option that would change this. Overheating is hardware related, and can only be resolved by cleaning and supplemental cooling.Electronics parts do break down over time, so this comes with the territory of an aging laptop. Replacing it with a new system with solid state memory parts that don't need cooling may be a better long term option for you. --Please note:I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Do you need more help with this, Betty?