GeekGal
GeekGal, Laptop Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS Degree and 15+ years experience supporting both Mac and windows laptops
76665483

I cannot make my password ***** woukd live to reset it

Customer Question

Category: Laptop
Expert:  Viet - Laptop Tech replied 7 months ago.
Hi,I'm sorry about the issue. What's the model of your computer?What kind of password ***** ***** such as email password, or computer's login password, etc.?Please reply at the box below. Thank you,
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
MacBook Air
Computer login password
So you cannot access your Macbook Air laptop at all right?Does it also ask or show an Apple ID / email address?What's your Mac OS X version, i.e., 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, etc.?Please reply at the box below. Thank you,
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It just comes up with my name, and I'm supposed to fill in the password. And I don't know what version I have, I try to keep up on the updates but not sure where that has me
How old is your Macbook Air laptop?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
About 2 years
Thank you. Please try:Restart the computer. (Click on the Apple logo / menu at the top, then click on Restart.)Right after you hear the chime sound, press and hold at the same time the two keys: Command and R on your keyboard for a few seconds, then release, then soon, the screen should show the Apple logo and spinning gear (or progress bar in Yosemite).Then you will see the "OS X Utilities" window:, don't select any option in that window, but click on the menu Utilities at the very top, then click on Terminal.Then type exactly resetpassword ***** press Return key; (one word.), then it will show the Reset Password *****:Then click on the volume / partition you want (usually there is only one), then select the name / user account name in the popup (select each one, if there is more than one), then enter the new password (twice) you want. (Entering a password ***** is optional.), then click on Save.Click on menu OS X Utilities at the top, then click on Quit OS X Utilities, and restart.- Do you see a menu when trying the above steps?Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My laptop is on mute, will I still hear the chime?
Yes, you should. Normally, when the computer is turned off, then when you turn on the computer, does it make a sound right away?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is no selection to choose for the user account
Restart the computer. (Click on the Apple logo / menu at the top, then click on Restart.)Right after you hear the chime sound, press and hold at the same time the two keys: Command and R on your keyboard for a few seconds, then release.Wait a bit.Then what do you see next?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Language choice, I choose English then I get the is x utilities, I click on utilities at the top of the screen
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Then I choose terminal
In Terminal window, type exactly resetpassword ***** press Return key; (one word.), then it will show the Reset Password ***** do you see there?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I see terminal-bash-80-24
OK, there, just type the word resetpassword ***** press Enter key, then what do you see?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, I have the reset password *****
Can you change the password ***** and then click Save at bottom?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It says select the volume containing the user account, there is no choices there to make. The curser won't go on any of the boxes
Click on Macintosh HD at the top first. Or do you see any drive icon at the top?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can't see anything that looks like a Macintosh hd
In the Reset Password ***** you should see the word Reset Password ***** the top. Then below it, do you see Select the Mac OS X disk which contains a password ***** reset? If yes, what is showing right below that line?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nothing is in the box
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It says select the volume containing the user account
Does it show something similar like in the image at the website below?http://media02.hongkiat.com/reset-osx-user-account-password/reset-password-recovery.jpgOr is it different?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, there is nothing in the box
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
And the top of the box says volume containing the user account
, but there is no volume / drive / option to select / click on right?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Right, nothing in the box
Please close the Reset Password ***** Then in the Terminal window, type:fsck -fy, then press Return/Enter key.2. Type:mount -uw /, then press Return key.3. Type:rm /var/db/.applesetupdone, then press Return key.4. Type reboot then press Return key.Please let me know. Thank you,
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've Done that and I get the choice to choose me or guest, or one other user to sign on
Select yours, then check. Please let me know. Thank you,
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I selected it. Tried my password, still not working
If you leave password ***** does it work or not?
Wait. Did you see the “Welcome Wizard” startup screen, or something similar? Can you select the option Create a new user account or something similar if shown?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I hit enter, nothing happens
Did you see the “Welcome Wizard” startup screen, or something similar? Can you select the option Create a new user account or something similar if shown?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, just the sign in options
Sorry. Please try:Restart the mac.At the chime (or grey screen if your chime is turned off), hold down at the same time the two keys Command and S this time on your keyboard to enter single-user mode. At the prompt, typefsck -fy, and press Return/Enter key., wait for the check to finish before going to the next step.Type mount -uw / and press Return.Type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist and press Return.Type ls /Users and press Return., (this lists all of the username(s) on the computer)Type dscl . -passwd /Users/username password, replace “username” with one of the user(s) displayed in the previous step, and replace “password” with a new password ***** want., then press Return.Type reboot and press Return.Then let me know what it shows next.Please let me know. Thank you,
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I get a screen to type something in but it goes right the the screen to choose the account to sign in
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's a black screen with white typing on it
I have tried several times
So in the black screen, are you able to type?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No it goes away too soon
Restart the computer, then try the Command and R keys, then go to Terminal, does it let you type?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes
Great. In Terminal window, please try:At the prompt, typefsck -fy, and press Return/Enter key., wait for the check to finish before going to the next step.Type mount -uw / and press Return.Type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist and press Return.Type ls /Users and press Return., (this lists all of the username(s) on the computer)Type dscl . -passwd /Users/username password, replace “username” with one of the user(s) displayed in the previous step, and replace “password” with a new password ***** want., then press Return.Type reboot and press Return.Then let me know what it shows next.Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have tried 4 times and it keeps coming up command not found
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That after step 3
Can you try step #4?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I try step 4 it says no such file or directory
Sorry, please try this again:1. In the Terminal window, type:fsck -fy, then press Return/Enter key.2. Type:mount -uw /, then press Return key.3. Type:rm /var/db/.applesetupdone, then press Return key.4. Type reboot then press Return key.Then when the computer is back on, don't click on anything; let me know what it shows. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It just went back to the choice of users
Previously you said "I get the choice to choose me or guest, or one other user to sign on". Can you select the other user?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can, do you want me to try to sign in on it?
Yes, please see if you can sign in the other user.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yup, that one worked
Great. Now, click on the Apple logo / menu at the top, then click on System Preferences, then click on Users & Groups (or Accounts), then click on your account name there (the account that you don't know the password *****), then reset password ***** it. Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It won't let me click on mine
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Or the guest one
In Users & Groups (or Accounts), click on the Lock icon at the bottom left first. Please let me know. Thank you,
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It wants my name as the administrator, and password, it doesn't like the password
Sorry, do you need any data / files from this laptop?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sure!! That is why I am trying to get into it
I'm sorry. It is really strange ; can you watch the video at the website below; just to make sure:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ6AZMk2cy0- And/or athttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjxAgiNqkDMhttps://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mac+forgot+passwordPlease let me know. Thank you,
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sure
Thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am watching it, but can't get past the "control s"
Restart the computer. Then click on your account name. Then at the password ***** does it give you any other option?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is a little grey ? On the right side of the password ***** that is it
Click on the Apple logo menu at the top left, then click on About this Mac..., then let me know your Mac OS X version, such as 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, etc. Thank you,
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No Apple logo
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
On the top left, just the big one above my name
Restart the laptop, then don't click on anything, then see if it shows the Apple logo.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nope, just the user options
I'm sorry. I'm out of suggestions. But let me open this issue to other experts. Please do not wait; you will get an email when another expert responds. Thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
Hello Ingrid. My name is***** is no longer available. I'd like to try to help you with this. It sounds like there are possible issues with corrupted profiles and definitely a corrupted profile on this machine. I believe that the only real fix is to reinstall the operating system. However, if you had Apple icloud setup, you may be able to retrieve your files from there. Please go to www.icloud.com and try to sign in with your Apple id and password, then look to see if you r documents photos etc. are there. If you don't know your Apple id or password, please let me know and I will provide instructions to help you retrieve it.