Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Reset tablet and it comes to a black screen and asks to press

Customer Question

Reset tablet and it comes to a black screen and asks to press f12 or esc. But doesn't do anything.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
Hi Allan, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. Can you please tell me the exact make and model of your computer?Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Asus T300LA-bb31t
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
Hi Allan,Thank you for writing back with that information. After the reset, have you tried to press ESC and let the device continue the reloading? Also, please check the HDD led if it is blinking fast or steady or if it is not blinking at all.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It doesn't continue. Not blinking at all.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for that information. If the HDD led is NOT blinking then it means there is no hard disk drive activity. I suggest the following:Plug the laptop to AC power sourceRe-do the factory reset process with the laptop connected to a stable AC power source. Connect the Dock before performing this option. During the recovery, do not remove the Dock.Restart your ASUS Transformer Book then press F9 button during POST.Wait for Windows® to load the Choose an option screen then tap Troubleshoot.Tap Reset your PC.In the Reset your PC screen, read the bullet points to learn more about using this option then tap Next.There are two options to clear the drive: Just remove my files or Fully clean the drive. Select the option of your choice then tap or click RESET.Please take your time and let me know if it works this time. Please remember that your computer may look not responding any time in the process but just check the HDD led if it is blinking or steady or OFF. This indicates hard disk drive activity.Thank you.Jess
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Always comes back to the black screen no light keys don't work.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
At which point or step number do you get the blank screen?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When it turns on, a black screen with a line saying change was requested, a line saying press f12 to clear the tpm a line saying press esc to reject change and continue.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
Press F12 key. What happens?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nothing
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
So after pressing F12 or ESC, the blank screen with a line saying change was requested, and another line saying press f12 to clear the tpm and saying press esc to reject change and continue IS STILL SHOWING?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
F12 is a function key at the top row.Here is a picture of the F12 key:http://filesxpress.com/d-f5bd26df
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I know I have been pressing it, and the f9 as well as the esc keys nothing happens.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
I am so sorry about that. Ca you please take a picture of that screen and upload it to http://filesXpress.com?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can't connect to filesxpress.com/attachment
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
A configuration change was requested to clear this computer's TPM (Trusted Platform Module )
WARNING: clearing erases information stored on the TPM.you will lose all created keys and access to data encrypted by these keys.
Press f12 to clear the TPM
Press esc to reject this change request and continue
Upper left corner on complete black screen
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you think you will find a solution?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
When did you get that error screen? After pressing F12?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
Also, please press ESC to reject the change and then follow the procedures I gave you to perform the factory reset.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, it is the screen that comes up when turned on. The last message is the instruction screen.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have pressed both keys and nothing happens if it did I would not be trying to find a way past this screen because the keys are not working.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
Are you saying that this screen is not the result of the reset procedures I gave you? Are you saying that you are getting this screen and you cannot START on the procedures I gave you?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This screen and the keys not working is what I would like to have fixed.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
If you are still seeing that same screen now, instead of pressing F12 to continue, please press Fn and hold, then press F12. See if it continues this time.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have tried that nothing happens. I would like to have something to fix the problem not things that I've already been doing.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
Is your laptop still covered with warranty? I am asking because the next procedures to solve this problem involves removing the hard disk drive. Here are the steps:Turn off the laptopRemove the back cover of the laptop that covers the HDD. When the HDD is revealed, gently remove itWithout the HDD, please turn ON the laptop and press Del or F2 to access the BIOSIf you got the same screen, please press F12 and see if it works.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It should be it was a gift for Xmas
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for that confirmation. Please check the back cover and see if you can remove the HDD without damaging a warranty sticker. If that is possible, then please proceed to removing the HDD and then reboot the computer. If you get the same screen, press F12 and see if it works this time and then redo the process with the HDD attached again..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't see any of getting the back off it's a notebook so it probably clips on. Thanks for the tries I guess I will have to call asus for the warranty
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
Yes, since it is covered with warranty, you can have it restored by sending the laptop to the vendor. But if you want to fix and continue reset process on your own, you need to open the case and remove the HDD to force your system to re-initialize the keyboard through the BIOS.I can check for video guides on how to remove the HDD for you if you want. But you can also use the warranty for this kind of repair.Here is a video guide. Though this is a different model, the process will be the same.Here is also a typical HOW-TO guide for your specific model. This guide aimed at replacing, but your case should just remove and then test and then put it back again.https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/ASUS+T300LA-US51T+SSD+replacement/27863 Thank you for using our service.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will check out the link, but the back is thin and to fragile for the tools I have. They would scratch and Crack the case maybe even the screen. That would void the worranty. I was hoping for a fast easy fix. Not my luck or it would have kept working.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
I am very sorry but there is no easy or software fix for this one since the keyboard is locked or frozen due to the error. The only way to unfreeze the keyboard is to force the system to the BIOS and that needs removing the hard drive.Since this is a critical procedures, I understand that you are not comfortable in doing it.I suggest then that you send or bring the laptop to the vendor or the nearest Asus repair center so that they can fix this under warranty.I understand that this is bad news or not the kind of answer you wish to hear and I hate to be the bearer of this information.But it will be unfair to you and unprofessional of me NOT to provide the real score of the matter.At this point you have placed a deposit and I only get credit for my time and help if you rate positively (3 to 5 stars/faces). It is up to you if you want to credit me or not. Your deposit is refundable should you wish not to pay.But please do not rate me negatively (1-2 stars/faces) for being the bearer of this bad news.Thank you for using our service.Best regards,Jess