Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience:  I am a technology professional with 18 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).

I purchased a yoga 2 pro laptop at Christmas time and it

Customer Question

Hi I purchased a yoga 2 pro laptop at Christmas time and it has suddenly just stopped working and won't boot. The lights on the keyboard light up and it looks promising for a minute but then nothing. We have tried everything is this a common problem and if so how do I fix it
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 5 months ago.
Hi Sommer! My name is ***** ***** I am an independent computer expert who's been paired with your through It is my pleasure to assist you today.While problems with the Yoga 2 are rare, this is one of the more common and persistent issues pertaining to the device. There are generally two causes of this issue: a BIOS timing issue, or a faulty motherboard. The steps I'm going to provide you with here will fix the first issue; if your computer will still not boot afterward, that would indicate the second issue and a hardware replacement would be required.Please note: since your computer is so new, it may be (and probably is) under warranty by the manufacturer. The following steps WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY. As such, please proceed only if you feel comfortable doing so.Here's what to try:Step 1: Open the back cover by removing the 11 screws at the back (using torx 5 screwdriver)Step 2: Disconnect the battery connector. (You do not need to take out the battery.)Step 3: There is a small CMOS cell near the top left corner at the back (near the fan). Disconnect the connector of this cell (this will reset your bios).Step 4: Reconnect your CMOS cell connector. Plug in the AC Charger and turn on your laptop. It should work!Step 5: Reconnect your battery connector and screw back the cover.In most cases, the above will resolve the issue and you'll be back in business! Please post back here to update me on how it goes. Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Unfortunately I have already done these exact steps, looks like I'm up for a new motherboard. I brought the demo model which only came with a limited 3 month warranty that ran out a few weeks ago. Thankyou for confirming my suspicions I was hoping there may have been another error but i had a gut feeling it may have been the motherboard.
I was hoping that the timing issue would turn out to be the problem, and am so sorry that the issue appears to be more serious! Lenovo can still repair the computer at a cost cheaper than buying a new one, so you may wish to follow-up with them. Their number is: 1-***-***-****I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you'll receive good news from them!