Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

How can I authenticate turning on the Broadcom 802.11 Linux

Customer Question

How can I authenticate turning on the Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA Wireless driver source from bcmwl-kernel-source (proprietary) in order to use my wireless connection?
I also need to authenticate Processor microcode firmware for Intel CPUs from intel-microcode (proprietary).
I turned them off in error.
Category: Laptop
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am using Ubuntu software version 15.04
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I'm Joel. I look forward to assisting you with your question today. You should be able to enable these repositories via the control centre: Open Ubuntu Software Center.From the top-level menu, select Edit | Software Sources ... .Enable the Proprietary drivers for devices (restricted) ... option.Click the Close button.
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
Let me know how you go, cheers Joel
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** did not fix the problem. That field was already checked. The problem is under the tab for Additional Drivers. The software is marked Do Not Use The Device.
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
No worries, so the selection is greyed out? You are unable to check the box to use the driver?
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
Do you have internet access at the moment, via physical cable connection?
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
Never mind I see you mention you have no internet access. Is the Ubuntu system a new install or one that's been running for awhile and you accidentally went into additional drivers and disabled them?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, the selection for "Proprietary drivers for devices (restricted)" is not grayed out it is selected, under the "Ubuntu Software" tab. The tab for "Additional Drivers" is marked "Do Not Use The Device" under the "Broadcom 802.11 and Processor Microcode" fields . I am unable to reach the internet on that computer. I am using another computer to reach you. I have been using that system for some time. I accidentally went into additional drivers and disabled them.
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** know if your using 64bit CPU?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
not sure
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
You can try this, you can grab the dpkg for the wifi driver here Download bcmwl-kernel-source - Ubuntu Packages You'll need to download the .deb for your architecture amd64 for 64bit and i386 for 32bit. You can find this on your ubuntu machine if you open up a Terminal and type in the command uname -a
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
If you can give me the output of that command I can tell you. In any case, You can download both packages from the link above on the machine with internet access and save them to a USB stick. You'll need to then copy them over to your Ubuntu machine. Let me know once you've done that and we can manually install the wifi driver source which then should hopefully get your wifi device working again
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
trying to find a flash drive
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the output of that command is "revivedrive-HP-Compaq-6730b-SJ554UC-ABA
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
tryuname -m
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
same response
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
no worries and thats with the -m like "uname -m"
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I found it under "About This Computer" it a 32 -bit
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
Cool, ok grab the i386 package from http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/admin/bcmwl-kernel-source
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
Then copy it to the desktop of your Ubuntu machine. After this you'll need the Terminal again. You need to remove any old versions with the first command then install your downloaded one with the second command. If you have copied the package to your desktop you'll need to change to that location in Terminal.
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
In Terminal:cd /home/YOUR_USER_NAME/Desktopsudo apt-get remove bcmwl-kernel-sourcesudo dpkg -i bcmwl-kernel-source_6.30.223.141+bdcom-0ubuntu2_i386.deb
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
While your typing out the commands, you can also hit the TAB key to autocomplete some of the names to save typing, you should be able to type "sudo dpkg -i bcmwl" without quotes then hit tab and it'll auto complete the name for you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
okay, I've copied the bcmwl-kernel-source-6.30.223.144+bdc... onto my desktop. You lost me after that.
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
You need to open up your Terminal and navigate to your desktop:cd /home/YOUR_USER_NAME/Desktop
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
So thats the command, 'cd' just means change directory, so your going to change into /home/your_user_name/Desktop. So for me it would be: cd /home/joel/Desktop
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok I think I'm at the desktop command
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
ok, next you need to run this one:sudo apt-get remove bcmwl-kernel-source
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
didn't i just remove the file i downloaded
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
No, that will check for prior installed on system and remove it so no conflicts with the one we're about to install
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
So this command will go about installing the downloaded one:sudo dpkg -i bcmwl-kernel-source_6.30.223.141+bdcom-0ubuntu2_i386.deb
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok, that didn't work either
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
can you connect to the laptop without an internet connection
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
I can't without a connection. Did it install or throw up any errors?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it installed, no errors
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
ok, can you try giving the machine a reboot?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
still not working. Good night
Expert:  Joel replied 7 months ago.
ok, sorry we couldn't sort it tonight. I will opt-out for now to see if another tech has some ideas