Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  15 Years saving Laptops from the recyling bin! Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

How do I get rid of pop ups?

Customer Question

how do I get rid of pop ups?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. Your mac has a virus. Distrubuted by the same company who asked you to call them. Before we go any further, when you called the number did you allow them to access your mac? Did you download or install anything they sent you ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I did not allow them to access my Mac or install anything they recommended.
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.
My apologies for the delay in getting back to you. By the time you responded I was away from my desk. Happy to hear that you did not allow them access or give them any account information , passwords or details. That makes our job a bit simpler. Now, the question is how to get rid of the virus. Is it only one browser, such as safari that shows the virus screen? Can you access the internet from your mac at all, possibly using a different browser?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can access Chrome but the pop ups come there as well as my main browser, Safari. I can't trust you to access my computer until I know you are trustworthy but I certainly do want to get rid of the virus.
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.
We should be able to get rid of this error without having me access your computer. Lets start with safari, lets clear your entire history. Choose History > Clear History, click the pop-up menu, then choose how far back you want your browsing history cleared. Once thats done, lets reset chrome. Open Chrome.In the top right, click the Chrome menu .Click Settings.At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.Under the section "Reset settings,” click Reset settings.In the box that appears, click Reset. Once thats done, restart your mac. You should now be able to use chrome and safari without the popups occurring. However, for good measure I suggest you also run a virus scan. If you dont have an antivirus, you can get a decent antivirus called kapersky for 10$ Or you could go for a more comprehensive product, such as norton security for mac Let me know whether the issues are fixed after completing the above steps. Or if you still see those popups. I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.