flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant 30 years in nyc computer industry working with PC and networks banks brokerage legal etc.
23372949

I'm Phil JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about

Customer Question

I'm Phil
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I got a Alienware M18R2 Factory Remanufactured Laptop. I was going to try to upgrade it to Windows 10, so I was goin to have to install Windows 7 pro which I have. I did that, then all the drivers were in the windows.old file I messed up and reflashed the bios and now the computer turns on, but I have a black screen, it never lights. I know it gone to a generic driver. How bad is it?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Laptop technicians generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 8 months ago.
does it seem to be turning on and booting up with just the screen blank? or is it not turning on at all ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can hear the windows tune come on, but nothing comes on the screen. Completely black, no cursor visible.
i think that you are probably correct and it just lost the driver for that screenbut getting it back in is going to be tough i would suggest that if you can borrow or buy another monitor or maybe even use a tv if it has an hdmi port this will be a lot easieri have found monitors for 10 or 20 bucks at thrift shops then you can just download the drivers and install them once you can see what you are doing on another screen otherwise you have to get a bootable windows*****and boot off of that. and even that is problematical if you cant turn off the secure boot which usually requires getting into the windows 10 uefi.