IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I have ASUS lap top a message cam up Message from Webpage

Customer Question

I have ASUS lap top a message cam up Message from Webpage Your windows/Microsoft Computer has been blocked . I called the number thinking it was Microsoft 1(###) ###-####but I feel it was a scam they went into my computer moved stuff around told them to stop now I am not able to get rid of the message ?? Please Help(###) ###-####
Category: Laptop
Expert:  ChrisC replied 8 months ago.

Hi Malcolm, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you with this.

I can assure you that the message you received was a scam. It's essentially a form of advertising that is triggered either by going to certain websites or by adware that got installed on your computer.

Are you saying that you still have the message now, even though you let them into your computer?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
unable to open internet explorer but not sure what the did to my computer
Expert:  ChrisC replied 8 months ago.

Okay, so when you open Internet Explorer the message comes up, is that right?

Can you tell me what version of Windows you're running?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is 8 or 10 but not sure the computer is one year old
Expert:  ChrisC replied 8 months ago.

Okay, are you sure it's Internet Explorer that you're opening? Microsoft has two browsers, one is called Edge and the other is called Internet Explorer, and both use a blue E icon.

Also, do you have another browser on the computer that's working properly (like Firefox or Google Chrome)?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it is internet explorer I am using my apple tablet to talk to you not sure of any other
Expert:  ChrisC replied 8 months ago.

Oh, okay. So at this point you can't really do anything at all with your computer.

In that case, one other question. On your computer, down at the bottom of the screen, can you see the taskbar? This is the bar that usually sits at the bottom and has the Start Button with the windows symbol on the far left and the clock on the far right.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Zon the left is manage folders on the right has the word more
Expert:  ChrisC replied 8 months ago.

Okay, let's try this, hold down the Ctrl, Alt and Delete keys together and you should get a pop up menu. On this menu you should find the option for Task Manager.

Open Task Manager and you should see a variety of programs that are open. One of the programs should either say Internet Explorer or Iexplore. Choose every instance of the program by clicking on it and then click on End Task in the lower right of the Task Manager window.

This should shut down Internet Explorer.

Try that and let me know if you're successful.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
A internet explorer is back up Windows 10 popped up , but what stuff did they get into ??
Expert:  ChrisC replied 8 months ago.

Does Internet Explorer seem to be working properly now? If you try to click around to different websites, does it jump to the page without the message coming up?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The message has come up again ?.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 8 months ago.

Okay. You've got some kind of adware on the computer.

Would you be interested in having me give you a call on the phone and try to connect to the computer to take a look at it? There would be an additional cost ($26) but I think we might be able to get connected, even with the problem that you're having.

It will probably be a lot more difficult to try to walk you through a clean up process just by typing.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No thanks
Expert:  ChrisC replied 8 months ago.

Okay. In that case, what I'm going to do is opt out of the question and open it up to other Experts so that someone else can jump in here and assist you. You'll be notified when there's another reply.

Expert:  JACUSTOMER-k0v3sb31- replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I can help you with this, without the use of connecting to your computer. It should be a relatively simple fix, but I would like to know what you have done so far (on your own) to try and get rid of it. I can read what the previous expert asked you to do. Have you tried anything on your own to try to fix this? Any antivirus or malware scanning?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you with the problem you described.

It looks like the previous Expert is not available any more. If the problem is still there, I suggest checking with both Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer web browser to see if only one of them is infected or both of them. You can use the Windows search box located in the bottom left corner. Click inside it and first type:

Microsoft Edge

and press Enter

Check what you see. After that, click inside the search box again and type:

Internet Explorer

and press Enter

Check what you see.

Also, while having both web browsers open, try opening several web pages to see if the web pages will load.

Let me know the results.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Let me know by sending me a reply below.

Thanks,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.