GeekGal
GeekGal, Laptop Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS Degree and 15+ years experience supporting both Mac and windows laptops
76665483

I bought an asus chromebook sister - works great - but a

Customer Question

I bought an asus chromebook for my sister - works great - but a couple of days ago she said she couldn't log onto the main login screen of the computer - so I drove up to her place and she was right - I could get her operational in guest mode - but the main screen login just woulld not work using her normal gmail password ***** tried everything I could think of and went online and tried the powerwash thing re the ctrl alt shift and r pushed at the same time - but it did nothing - any thoughts?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.

Hi there! My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. Let's start with a little bit of troubleshooting to rule things out. Can your sister go to another computer and login to gmail with the password ***** she is trying to use on her Acer? If she can't login to gmail with that password ***** then then we need to reset her gmail password. If she can login with that password ***** then we need to look more closely at the laptop to make sure that caps lock is not on. Please try this and let me know the results.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.

Just in case you find that she does need to reset her Google/gmail password, here's how to do it:

To change the password ***** your Google Account, just follow these steps: Go to http://google.com and click on sign-in. Enter your username and click on "Need Help". On the next page, click beside "I don't know my password" then click on 'Continue". You'll be asked to enter the last password ***** you remember. Enter it, then click "Continue".

If you have previously added a recovery email account, you will be shown part of the email address and you will be asked to enter the entire email address. Next, you'll need to check your recovery email account for an email that will tell you how to reset your password.

If you previously added a cell phone number as a recovery option you may be given the opportunity to have a code texted to you.

If neither of those options works, you still may be able to get in. You will be asked for details about how you used your account, people you emailed often, when the account was created, labels or filters you created - or other verifiable information. If you can answer these questions correctly, so Google can verify that you are indeed the owner of the account, you will be sent a link to reset your password.

When you have reset the password ***** you are logged into your account, please go to settings and update your recovery email address, your phone number, and your security questions. This will make it much easier for you to recover access to your account if you forget your password ***** the future.

If all else fails, you may call 1-***-***-****, however the lines are automated, and requesting to speak with someone can lead to hold times up to three hours or more.

If the instructions that I've have provided have been helpful to you, kindly take a moment to rate my service. As an independent contractor for Just Answer I do not receive credit for my answer or any compensation at all without a rating of 3 stars or more. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. If you need more help, please let me know so we can continue to work together. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
my sister CAN log into her gmail account from another computer AND she CAN log into her gmail account while using her computer in guest mode.
The issue is that she CANNOT log onto her computer main login page -
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.
I apologize. I am away from my computer at the moment and the mobile app tells me that there is a rely but will not allow me to view it. I'd be happy to offer the Premium Service of a PHONE CALL if you would like immediate assistance. Otherwise, I will view your reply and respond when I return. Thank you!
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.

Ok. Thank you for that information. That is very helpful.

It is possible that your sister may have turned on "Smart Lock"? Smart Lock allows us to unlock the device by simply putting a paired Android smartphone near it. You can find out more about Smart Lock here. If she does have an Android phone that may be paired with it, make sure that she is signed into the phone and that Bluetooth is turned on, on her phone. She can then place the phone beside the Chromebook and it should unlock.

If she has not turned on smart lock and this does not help, your next step should be to try PowerWash again. Instructions are shown below. If all else fails, you can do a full recovery on the Chromebook, but you will need to have bootable media (cd or usb) in order to do that. I have attached a pdf file with complete instructions for doing this. It is a bit complicated and time consuming but it will work if all else fails.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking . If I have, please kindly take a moment to rate my service. As an independent contractor for Just Answer I do not receive credit for my answer or any compensation at all without a rating of 3 stars or more. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

POWERWASH

This method enables you to Powerwash a Chromebook from outside a user account. It can be useful if you have forgotten your password, or bought a second-hand machine where the previous owner has not wiped their own data before the sale.

1. Turn on the device and wait to be presented with the sign-in screen. Do not login
2. Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+R and hold it until you see a large onscreen warning. Click ‘Restart’ to initiate the process.