Richard, Laptop Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

I have a Toshiba P755-S5320. I bought a larger capacity

Customer Question

Hi I have a Toshiba P755-S5320. I bought a larger capacity battery and installed it. My laptop still powers on and then shuts down with or without plug in it. What else can cause that. I have 2 chargers and both seem to work
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

When does it shut down? Is it at a random time? When your specifically doing something?

Did it have this problem with the previous battery?

And which version of windows are you using?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Using Windows 7. At any random time shuts off and once it shuts down once keeps turning on and shutting down immediately. It was doing exact same thing with previous battery so may be good as well

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the previous battery is ok, this is not a battery issue.

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me if it is still occurring please