Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

What test can i do to check if my laptop wifi is working

Customer Question

What test can i do to check if my laptop wifi is working properly?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question, I look forward to assisting you today. Are you having some problem that might make you think it isn't working or is working intermittently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The connection fluctuates at times. But I have a stable connection whenever it is wired.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Havent experienced it in my other laptops just this new one.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Have you checked any of the online speed test utilities like speedtest.net?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked using speedtest.net and connection is stable in my other devices.
Things done:
1. Checked connection using Laptop 1 - wifi connection is okay doesnt fluctuate
2. Checked connection using iphone - wifi connection is okay doesnt fluctuate
3. Checked connection using Laptop 2 (this laptop is new with wifi issues) - losses connection at times, speedtest usually gives me a long ping like 233ms and dl speed of 0.05Already did the test I just want to know how can I test the laptop itself if the wi-fi adapter in my new laptop is defective. Is there an app or where can I go to check.
Went to the device manager and if something is up i know like there used to be an exclamation point yellow rectangle box there that prompts that something is wrong with one item in my laptop. But I havent seen any.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Try NetStumbler first. This utility will scan the entire WiFi network around you and will help you determine if there is some interference preventing your new laptop from running at top speed. Did you set this up your self?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok i will try this later and will let u know how it goes. Yeah i did.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I presume you have your computer set to acquire an IP address automatically? You can also try toggling your wireless connection on and off to see if that will get you a better signal.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Another thing you can try is restarting your router. That will sometimes clear up WiFi congestion problems.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah i guess it was set up that way i dont know how to set it up manually.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Just as well. I would rather you have it that way for simplicity anyway. Do you know how to check your WiFi card to see if it is transmitting at full power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know how to do that
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, it might be easier if we can agree on a time when I can remote in and check it for you? I am in the central time zone if that helps. Let me know please.