Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist

How do I find the location of my laptop. A friend borrowed

Customer Question

How do I find the location of my laptop. A friend borrowed it and his friend borrowed it and now I need it back.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  aitizaz replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! i am Aitizaz and i will assist you today

Does your computer run Windows or Mac?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Toshiba Satellite L55-C5272 Windows 10 Laptop
Expert:  aitizaz replied 7 months ago.

There is no device such as GPS integrated in to the laptop to detect the exact location of the laptop. However, this is not the end of the story. There are still mechanisms which could be employed to detect the location of your laptop. These are indirect solutions to reach to the location of the laptop.

Expert:  aitizaz replied 7 months ago.

One of such application is the famous Facebook. you can use facebook to detect the location of the laptop ( if that person is using your facebook account OR the account is still active on the computer).

To get a list of your Facebook account’s sessions, go to Settings and click on Security on the left sidebar. Now click on the bottom item called “Where You’re Logged In” . You should see an overview of the different devices and apps that last accessed your account. Facebook even tells you the city in which the session was established. If you hover over the city with your cursor, you can see the IP address. You can get an even more detailed lost of basically all past sessions

Expert:  aitizaz replied 7 months ago.

The same technique could be used through Gmail.

If the person with your laptop is curious enough, he or she might want to take a peek at your mails. As with Dropbox, Gmail keeps track of all the different IP addresses used to access your mails. Go to your Gmail inbox, scroll down and click on “Details” under “Last account activity” in the bottom right corner.

A new window should pop up, displaying the ten last recorded sessions together with the used IP addresses. write down the unknown IP address and track the location of that IP address through google or some website providing such services

Expert:  aitizaz replied 7 months ago.

anything else you would like to know please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the response. Luckily I dont think that they were using my account so these suggestions while good, are probably not applicable.
Expert:  aitizaz replied 7 months ago.

These are the only measures through which you can track your laptop. Anything else you would like to know please?