Cris, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  7 yrs experience with laptop troubleshooting and repair.

I have a gateway laptop that I just made a mistake on and

Customer Question

I have a gateway laptop that I just made a mistake on and wondering if you can give me some advice. I received this laptop witho,ut an operating system. Windows 7 used to be on it. When i got it, installed a linux operating system on it just to check and see if the hardware was working properly. I installed this linux system in the wrong partition, I think it might have the partition where you keep backup information. Now when I try to reinstall a clean windows 7 setup, it asks me for the hard drive driver. I suspect that a lot of other things are needed to do this install too. Is there anything I can do to correct this situation. The laptop that I have is a gateway with a celeron CPU B830 @ 1.80 Ghz. The hard drive is A Toshiba MQ01ABD032, Serial number X2RHP0TDT. The DVD rom drive is a MatshitaDVD- RAM UJ8C0. The serial number is ***** The Product name is NE56R.
The manufacturer name is GATEWAY.
The UUID is 1AB5A8622EE611E2842EB888E3AB608C.
Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I don't have any
backup discs that I know of for this product. Thank you very much for your time
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Cris replied 7 months ago.

Hi, thanks for using I am Cris.

Just to clarify you are try to reinstall Windows 7 from the backup partition, is that correct?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no, There is no backup partition left on this machine.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That is the problem and I have no discs for this machine. I just want to reinstall windows 7 back to it.
Expert:  Cris replied 7 months ago.

How are you trying to reinstall from a Windows 7 reinstallation disc?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a free standing disc with windows 7 on it that will ask me to enter a key when it is done installing. The problem is that the machine has no drivers on it and the reinstall partition is missing.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
In my first correspondance, i gave you all of the information that was found in the BIOS. What else can I do?
Expert:  Cris replied 7 months ago.

OK, neither the drivers or reinstall partition are needed to reinstall Windows back onto your PC. The reinstall partition is there to make it easy for someone to reinstall w/o any discs. You can complete the install and the laptop should have a Microsoft sticker located on the backside or behind the battery stating the product key. However the product key will only work if it is the exact same version of the operating system you are installing.

Example: You have a product key for Windows 7 Home Premium but you have a reinstall disc for Windows 7 Pro. Both the key and version you are installing have to match.

Once installed you can finish the setup of Windows and install any drivers you need from the gateway site. All PC manufacturers have drivers on their site by looking up the model number.

Let me know if this answers your question, reply back to me with any further questions. Please take the time to rate my service at the top and submit.

Expert:  Cris replied 7 months ago.

I wanted to follow up with you and see if I answered your question. If you have any follow ups please let me know.

Also, please take the time to rate my service at the top and submit.