Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist

Help! Need someone that can have remote access to my

Customer Question

Help! Need someone that can have remote access to my computer. I have a Mackbook and I think it is on its last leg. I have had it since 2007 and have had it added storage and changed out the HD. It is back to having a mind of it's own. If I leave it idle for more than five minutes, it freezes. I cannot do anything, but turn it off and turn it back on and hold my breath. My mouse and keypad seems to have a mide of its own. I just bought a new mouse and thought that would help. I now have an external mouse and keyboard and still problems. It I hit my mouse, everything moves with it or it scrolls uncrontrollably and I have adjusted the settings on it. The list goes on and on...My concern is that I feel it will crash at any moment and cannot afford to loose what is on my HD (pictures/documents). I have a passport and tell it to download and I have NO idea what is on that passport? What can I do when my computer freezes other than hit the OFF button (sure it does not like that!) and can you help me with determining why my computer is freezing and what should I do to securely back-up what is so important to me. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. Do you have your icloud backup turned on?

Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

If you will accept the premium service I will be able to remotely connect and make sure that all of your documents and photos are backed up either to the passport or to icloud or both.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Sorry, I cannot afford to pay for your premium services as I am currently on disability and barely making ends meet and cannot afford a new computer at this time. I bought my Macbook back in 2007 and sadly it is probably on its last leg and have done everything to bring it back to life.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

That's ok. I understand. I thought you wanted someone to connect and do this for you. IF you have icloud enabled on your MAC and have selected all options then your files should be automatically backed up. Please let me know what version of the MAC OS you have and I will try to provide detailed instructions for making sure that ICloud is enabled. You can check by clicking on the apple icon in the upper left and then on About.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

I'm going to be away from the computer for a bit but I will check back when I return and see if I can help. Thanks for your patience.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I have verson 10.6.8. and do not have icloud. I only have an external passport.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

Nicki, I'm sorry. You have to have 10.7.2 to be able to use icloud. I'm afraid that I won't be able to help without a remote connection. I can offer to you at a greatly reduced rate ($10 instead of the normal rate of $26) But that is the best I can do. If that won't work for you I'll "opt out" and allow another expert to try to assist you. You won't have to repeat anything. You'll be notified when the expert picks up your question and they will see our previous conversation. Please advise.