This may sound strange, but when you remove the battery and the power cord, press and hold the power button for at least 30 seconds. This will discharge any residual power in the laptop.
Then power on the laptop, and hold the 0 button down (no need to hold the power button down).
If that still does not work. please try the following steps to use the usb system recovery drive.
1. Press and hold down the F12 key while turning on the laptop.
2.. Boot menu will popup on the screen then select Enter Setup
3. Go to security > Set secure boot to disable.
4. Press Esc key to access the main page.
5. Go to Advanced > locate system configuration at the bottom of the list then highlight system configuration then press enter key > highlight boot mode then set to UEFI boot
6. Press Esc key to access the main page.
7. Goto Boot > set to USB
8. Press F10 to exit and save the changes.
Note: Before you press F10, make sure the usb drive is installed into one of the available usb ports. After you press F10 the machine will reboot, booting from the usb drive. Follow the prompts on the screen to re-install the original OS. When the reinstall has completed and th emachine is rebooting, repeat steps 1-8, but choose the hdd in step 7 rather than the usb. The installed Windows 8 OS will not boot up, if you do not revert the BIOS settings!
Please let me know if either of these methods work for you. If so kindly take a moment to rate my service. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. If you need more help, please let me know so we can continue to work together. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!