Jason Jones, Computer Technician
Experience:  10+ years of both work experience and education.
30759776

The screen froze on my wife's Portege Z835-P370 (running

Customer Question

The screen froze on my wife's Portege Z835-P370 (running Windows 7 with all critical updates through January) a couple of days ago, and she manually powered it down to reboot. It does not respond to the power button, even held down for 10+ seconds.
The following lights are on (whether plugged in or not) below the track pad: On/off is ON, AC power is flashing yellow, and eco Utility is ON, all others are OFF. These lights have remained on in this condition, even with the power unplugged, for 2+ days.
Any suggestions on how to reset it and get it to boot up again? Thanks. *****
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 9 months ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

This is a common fault with this brand of Toshiba laptop and others. The way to fix is to remove the power adapter and remove the battery. Once that is complete, press and hold the power button for at least 10 seconds. Once that is done, plug the battery and charger back in and turn it on. Does that help?

I look forward to your next message below or your rating on the top of this page (choosing of number of Stars and clicking the Submit button)

Please, do not forget to rate my help on this page.

Thank you again,
- Jason

P.S. If you do not know the answers to any of my questions or are confused about something, please let me know by replying on this page.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't see an opening to remove the battery. Do I need to remove the back cover -- there are 14 screws holding it on?

For your laptop, you will have to remove the screws first. If you are not comfortable doing this, I would not suggest doing so. The issue may be with the actual charging adapter. Do you have a spare one that you can test with?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Unfortunately, the screw in the center of the cover is a "f**k you" screw with a tiny star head, so I'll have to take it in for service. Thanks anyway. Bob

You are welcome, Bob. I am familiar with those little torque screws. I am sorry to hear that.

Thank you for your time, the chance to work with you, and for the update.

I am a member of all computer, networking, and cell phone categories. If you ever need anything else, please let me know.

I'm online most hours of the day and only a brief time away.

-Jason