GeekGal
GeekGal, Laptop Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS Degree and 15+ years experience supporting both Mac and windows laptops
76665483

I forget the password to open my laptop

Customer Question

I forget the password ***** open my laptop
Category: Laptop
Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. May I ask what type of computer you have and what Operating System you are using? (Ex: MAC, Windows Vista, XP, 7, 8/8.1, or 10)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Alison --Toshiba Satellite. Windows 7 or 8.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My girlfriend bought the laptop. Set it up with username & password ***** never used it. She cannot remember the password.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for that information. The process can vary, depending on whether it is Windows 7 or Windows 8. We really nee to need to figure that part out. Please look for a sticker on the bottom of the the computer with a serial number and Windows Version. Is the user name also an email address?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sticker doesn't show Windows version but the screenshot shows multi colors sweeping downward left to right. User name is ***** ***** email address.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

If the user name is ***** ***** address then it is either Windows 8, 8.1, or 10. I am uploading a pdf with detailed instructions including screen shots that will walk you through refreshing, restoring, or resetting your laptop.

The following information should allow you to reset any Toshiba to Factory Settings.

•  Hold the '0' (zero) key as you start the computer until you reach a blue screen that says Choose an option.
  •  Choose Troubleshoot.
  •  Choose Reset your PC.
  •  Here you'll see multiple options that can vary depending on whether you upgraded from Windows 8 or bought al laptop that came with Windows 10. Keep my files will allow you to keep your documents. Remove everything will remove your documents and uninstall all programs, including those pre-installed by Toshiba. If you choose to remove everything, you might be given the choice of resetting all drives and partitions or resetting only the one on which Windows is installed. You may also see Reset factory settings, which resets the computer to the way it was when you bought it. Not everyone will see this selection.
  •  Choose the options you prefer and follow the prompts to complete the reset.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

If this helps you to solve your problem, kindly take a moment to rate my service. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. If you need more help, please let me know so we can continue to work together. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

Good morning, Khristie. Were you successfully able to log in to your laptop? If not, please let me know, so we can pursue other methods to get you in. If so, please be kind and rate my service. Thank you and have a great day!