IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

My mouse keeps freezing on my laptop. Is there anything I

Customer Question

Hi my mouse keeps freezing on my laptop. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****

Please tell me if you are using a Windows or a Mac computer. Also, when did the freezing first start to happen?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
windows and it happened a couple of days ago. It happened again today. I shut down and it happened right away again after I restarted
Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

OK. Which Windows version is that? For example:

- Windows XP

- Windows Vista

- Windows 7

- Windows 8 / 8.1

- Windows 10

Do you remember if the freezing happened right after you made some changes to your computer, such as installing or uninstalling new programs?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think it is windows 7 - but cant remember for sure. I haven't made any changes
Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

Since the cause of the problem is unknown, I suggest we first try restoring the Windows settings to an earlier point in time, when all worked fine.

To do that, follow these steps:

1. Click the Windows Start button and type system restore into the search box and press Enter (or click Windows Start button and point to All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore)

2. You should see System Restore window. You will be given a choice to select either Recommended restore or Choose a different restore point

3. Since Recommended restore is usually one day old, select Choose a different restore point and press Next

4. You should see a list of restore points based on a date. You can also tick a box that says Show more restore points (if available)

5. Select a date when you know everything worked fine

6. To confirm, click Next and then Finish

7. Your computer will restart and restore all system settings to the date you selected

Don't worry about your personal files because they won't be affected by this process – only Windows and program settings will.

I hope this helps! If not, let me know and I will check for further suggestions.

Regards,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the system restore window pops up after - but i need to click next which i can't do because the cursor is frozen. Should I just keep clicking next?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. If the mouse stopped working, you should be able to use the keyboard. Pressing Enter should do the job. If not, you may need to use the arrow keys to select the buttons, and when you see "Next" has been selected, press Enter.

If that didn't work, you can restart the computer and quickly repeat the instructions while the mouse is operational.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
okay i tried this. I restored it to 2/28, but after it restarted - the cursor still doesn't work
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
everything else loaded up normally
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the system restore was completed successfully
Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

In that case, it may not be a Windows (software) related issue.

Is the computer in question a desktop or a laptop computer?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
laptop
Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

Are you using a USB mouse or the built-in touch-pad?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
built in touchpad
Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

In that case, it could be a problem with the touch-pad. Do you have a USB mouse you can connect to check how the mouse cursor will work?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i would have to go out and get one - i don't have one
Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

Before you do that, let me suggest you something else. Please tell me the make and model of your laptop.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

What you can do next is to uninstall the current touch-pad drivers and let Windows re-install them on the next restart. It could solve the problem you are experiencing. Here is what to do:

1. Restart the computer

2. Click the Windows Start button and then Control Panel. There click on Uninstall a program (or Programs and Features)

3. It will open a list containing all installed programs on your computer. Click inside the search box located in the upper right corner, and type the word touch

4. Now check if anything showed up. In case you see a program with the "touchpad" in is name listed, right-click it and select Uninstall

5. Confirm then uninstall, and when done, restart the computer

However, in case nothing showed up, you can uninstall the touch-pad drivers in the Device Manager. Here is how to do it:

1. Right-click the Computer icon and select Manage

2. Click on the Device Manager located on the left pane. There expand the Mice and other pointing devices group

3. Now look for an item containing the word "touchpad" in its name. Right-click it and select Uninstall. Check the Delete the driver software for this device check-box if it is available

4. Confirm by clicking OK and once you see it has disappeared from the list, restart your computer

5. When your computer restarts, it will automatically re-install the touch-pad drivers. After that, check if it helped solve the problem

If this didn't work, it may be a hardware problem with the touch-pad, so I suggest getting an USB mouse for your laptop.

Regards,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I cant click on anything - the cursor is frozen
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Samsung RC512
Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

The instructions I wrote apply for Samsung RC512 as well. See if the touch-pad could work once the laptop has been restarted, or when shut down and then powered on.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
in both those instructions you suggest clicking or right clicking on something. I can't move my mouse to click on anything. I have tried restarting the computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

In that case, you will need to get an USB mouse so that you can follow the instructions. It seems to me that the built-in touch-pad is failing, but you can first uninstall the drivers as suggested when you get a USB mouse, and then see if that made any changes to the touch-pad.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tried with an external mouse and it did not work. I tried restarting several more times. I then tried taking the battery and putting back in. None of this worked. Then I tried taking the battery out and leaving it out with the AC adapter plugged in. This worked. What do you make of that?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

Hello!

I have to say I am surprised it worked that way. Did you uninstall the touch-pad drivers as I suggested after taking the battery out?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. If you do, let me know.

Regards,