IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I have a asus small laptop and when I went to start it up it

Customer Question

Hi I have a asus small laptop and when I went to start it up it comes up with the error message 0xc0000185 and does not start and afyer a short time it shuts down.
Is there anyway to fix the error to gain access to the computer
thanks
Terry
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Cody replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Expert:  Cody replied 9 months ago.

Try pressing F11 repeatedly on startup.

Do you need any data off the hard drive?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not really just need it working
Expert:  Cody replied 9 months ago.

try pressing F9 repeatedly on startup. Does it take you to a menu screen to start the recovery process to reinstall Windows?

Expert:  Cody replied 9 months ago.

Checking in to see if you still need help with this issue, if so please reply at your convenience.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi sorry for the delay in responding, neither pressing F9 or F11 did anything.
Expert:  Cody replied 9 months ago.

what does F9 repeatedly do on startup? just a black screen?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I switch the laptop on the ASUS icon comes up and a turning dot. after a while an error message comes up. By pressing F9 repeatedly nothing changes
Expert:  Cody replied 9 months ago.

On the back does it have a Windows 8 product key listed? We may have to reinstall Windows form a DVD

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is aF102B notebook PC, it only has a windows 8 sticker on the back and a bar code number F102BADF070H, it does not have a DVD input
Expert:  Cody replied 9 months ago.

F8 on startup do anything?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No
Expert:  Cody replied 9 months ago.

I'm going to opt out to see if any other experts have new ideas.

Once someone takes on this question they will reply here.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I will be out for a while
Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****

The error message you see refers to the corrupted boot files. To fix that problem, you will need to use a Windows repair or installation media.

Since Asus F102B doesn't come with the built-in CD/DVD drive, you can create a bootable USB thumb drive and use it to either attempt to fix the problem, or re-install Windows. To be able to create a bootable USB thumb drive, you need to have a working Windows computer with Internet connection. If you do, let me know, so that I can write the instructions for you.

Regards,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi I do have a computer with internet access
Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

Hello again! Sorry for the delay.

Please tell me if you have Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 installed on your Asus F102B, so that I can write the correct instructions for you.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it's windows 8
Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

Hello!

Microsoft has removed a media creation tool for Windows 8 and left only the one for Windows 8.1. You can still use it to repair the corrupted boot files on your Asus laptop. Here are the instructions:

First, go to this webpage:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

It describes how to create a Windows 8.1 installation media. Click on the Create Media button and run the downloaded tool. Select the language, edition and architecture. Make sure to match the one that is installed on your Asus laptop.

Click Next. You can choose between creating a bootable USB flash drive or a bootable disk (ISO file). Since your Asus laptop doesn't come with a CD/DVD, select the USB flash drive option and click Next. Note that the process will format the USB flash drive, so make sure to transfer the important files to your computer first.

It could take some time for the Windows 8.1 files download from the Internet.

Once done, plug the USB flash drive to your Asus laptop and start it. If nothing happens, you need to access the BIOS and set booting from the USB device. Pressing the F2 key while your Asus laptop is powering on should take you there. Go to the Boot tab and set USB device or similar name at the top of the boot priority. Press the F10 key to save the changes and exit the BIOS.

Your Asus laptop should then restart and load the Windows 8.1 from the bootable USB flash drive.. You will then see the Windows Setup window with two options:

1. Install Now

2. Repair your computer

Click on "Repair your computer". The "Choose an option" screen will appear. On that screen, click on "Troubleshoot", and then click on "Advanced options". First, select "Automatic Repair" which should automatically detect and fix all found boot problems. The computer will restart. Let it boot to Windows 8 as usual. In case the problem remained, boot from the USB flash drive again, and follow the same steps, but this time select "System Restore" instead.

On the System Restore window, select a date you know your Asus laptop worked just fine. The process will attempt to restore all Windows and program settings to that date, so hopefully, this will solve the problem.

Let me know how it went.

Regards,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 months ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. If you do, let me know.

If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my assistance by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.

Thanks,