Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

I have a Toshiba Satellite L50 - laptop. I spilled a glass

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba Satellite L50 -B laptop. I spilled a glass of water on it and it's now dead. Is there a way to access the hard drive to recover the information.
Thanks
Al Ventura
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. First, remove all power from the laptop including the battery. If it is damaged beyond repair, your data will still be intact, but you will need to physically remove the drive then copy the contents to another computer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do I Locate the battery
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

My apologies as I should have indicated if possible.

Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

It can be removed, but you will need to completely disassemble the entire laptop to gain access. You will also need to do that to remove the hard drive. The best way to try to recover from water damage is to place it in a dry warm environment for several days to let the water evaporate. You can also completely cover it with dry white rice for several days. That will draw the moisture out as well.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have removed the back. I think this beyond my skills. Can I send the laptop to Toshiba to copy the info to minidrive.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

I would advise against that as they would charge you dearly for that. If you like, I can send you link that walks you through the dis-assembly process.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please send me the link
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Once you have disassembled the laptop, leave it set for a day or so and it should dry out and you can try powering it up again. Here is your LINK.

Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

How did you make out?