Viet - Laptop Tech
Viet - Laptop Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of laptop (and desktop) hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

I bought a refurbished laptop. It had windows 7 and Office.

Customer Question

I bought a refurbished laptop. It had windows 7 and Office. I did the windows 10 upgrade. At first everything was fine, but now when I try to open edge or some of the office programs, it says that the app cannot be opened by the automatic set up administrator. Log in as another user and try again. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Viet - Laptop Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is Internet Explorer program currently working fine?

Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Please try the following:

Solution #1:

1. Open Control Panel (by right-clicking on the Start button (which is the windows logo icon at bottom left of computer's screen), then click on Control Panel, or by pressing at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type control then click OK.)
  2. Then open User Accounts and Family Safety / User Accounts.
  3. Then click on the option Change User Account Control settings.
  4. Then on the left, click on the 2nd level bar (which has the option Default - Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer.)
  5. Then click OK at bottom.
  6. Then shut down / restart the computer, and check.

Solution #2:

- If that does not work, please try:

1. Click on Start, then click on Settings, then click on Accounts
  2. Click on other users option on the left
  3. Click on option Add someone else to this PC
  4. At the bottom of the page, select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
  5. At the bottom of the next page, select Add a user without a Microsoft account. (local account)
  6. Enter a name for the user account, and next / finish.
  7. Then shut down / restart the computer.
  8. Then click on the new user account name, and sign in.
  9. Then in the new user account, see if you can open and use Microsoft Edge program, and other Office programs, and any other program you need.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you.

Solution #3:

- If it does not let you create a new account in Solution #2, then please try:

- Press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type:

control userpasswords2
then click OK.
Then click on Add..., then give it a user name you want (use local account, not microsoft account if prompted)

, then Next, and password, then next, then select the Administrator option, then Finish
, then restart the computer normally, then log in the new account and see if you can use the computer in the new account.
If you still need help with this issue, or with anything else, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. If everything is fine, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you very much,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was just able to do a system restore to fix it. When I tried this previously, there was only one date available, but when I tried again the other day, it worked.