Viet - Laptop Tech
Viet - Laptop Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of laptop (and desktop) hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

I have a Surface Book, the camera works fine with the camera

Customer Question

I have a Surface Book, the camera works fine with the camera app. But is not accessible in Skype for business (says it is in use by another application) or in OneNote (can't record video with the current profile), I have not tried any other applications. I've installed all updates, rolled back the driver, rolled it forward again. Same results. I haven't installed any applications that use video. This is the first time I tried it with other than the camera app so it may never have worked.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Viet - Laptop Tech replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Does the Surface have Windows 7 or 8 or 10, etc.?

Can you open the Camera app, then click on the switch camera icon at the top to switch from back to front facing, and check.

If that does not work, right-click on the Camera app icon, and uninstall it, and check.

Please let me know. Thank you.

- Open the Camera app, then click on the switch camera icon at the top to switch from back to front facing, and check.

- If that does not work, right-click on the Camera app icon, and uninstall it, and check.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. It is Windows 10, the camera app switches between cameras, and the option to uninstall the app is greyed out when I go into settings. It is a new Surface Book from Microsoft.

- Are you able to take a picture using the Camera app?

So when you switch between cameras (switch to front facing), the camera still does not work in Skype program?

- Please try this: Press at the same time the 3 keys Ctrl, Alt, Del on the keyboard, then click on Task Manager, then click on option More details at the bottom if shown

, then click on the Startup tab, then right-click on each of the items there (except your antivirus / security program, if any), then click on Disable, then restart the computer, and and check.

- If that does not work, Press at the same time the 2 keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type msconfig then click OK, then click on the Services tab, then click on "Hide all Microsoft services" at the bottom, then click on Disable All at the bottom, then click OK, and restart the computer and check.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can take a picture with the camera. Switching to the front camera does not solve the problem. I tried disabling startup items and services, they did not fix. Thank you

You're welcome. Please press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type devmgmt.msc then click OK, then double-click on the option Imaging devices in order to open / expand it, then right-click on each of the item(s) under it, then click on Uninstall, and confirm Yes, then restart the computer, then check camera in Skype program. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is no Imaging devices option.

Can you open Human Interface Devices and Universal Serial Bus controllers and check? Or capture screenshots for me, thanks.

Also, is this the MS Surface 1, 2, 3, or 4...? Please let me know, thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not under those. It is the Surface Book the laptop. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Book/productID.325716000

Please download the drivers & firmware at the Microsoft website below and check:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49497

More information:

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/performance-and-maintenance/install-software-updates-for-surface?os=windows-10

- If needed, please send me screenshots for Human Interface Devices and Universal Serial Bus controllers in Device Manager. Thank you.