Gary Jensen
Gary Jensen,
Experience:  Functional Systems Administrator at Hill Air Force Base, OO-ALC/309SMXG
13452844

I have a brand new Toshiba satellite L75-C7234 -- my curser

Customer Question

I have a brand new Toshiba satellite L75-C7234 -- my curser trails all over the place so when typing it doesn't stay in the right spot and sometimes boxes just open for no reason - frustrating ..... anything I can do? It's new and this shouldn't be happening. Thanks
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Gary Jensen replied 1 year ago.

Hello there, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. It sounds like your palm may be brushing your touchpad (mouse control) and moving your cursor / light touch being interpreted as a double-click. One thing you can do is to go into mouse settings and change the mouse sensitivity. This is done by going to settings by cilcking on the windows icon on the bottom left corner of the screen, then typing settings in the "Search the Web and Windows" section. Then click on the trusted windows app called "settings."

• Click on Devices
  • Click on Mouse & touchpad
  • In the "Touchpad" section, there is a drop-down menu which allows you to adjust the touchpad sensitivity. Select Long Delay

You can then close all of the windows. This setting should improve the issue. Also, just be aware of where the palms of your hands are while typing (I know that it's kind of a pain, but it does help).

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist with this issue.

Cheers,

Gary

One other set of settings you can check is in control panel

Look in Control panel --> Mouse -->

At that point, depending on the mouse driver, you should have and "Advanced" tab, or a custom tab (might have mouse company name) on it. There are often options there with similar settings for touchpad tracking while typing, etc.

Check those out as well,

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not my hand brushing the mousepad since I've also not used the touchpad at all and tried it with a wireless mouse and the same thing happens. Sensitivity has already been adjusted - any other suggestions?

Do you have a wired mouse you could plug in? I understand the likeliness of the wired mouse solving the problem are low, but I've observed more surprising things. I would just like to rule it out.

Also, can you please tell me what operating system you are running?

Did this behavior change after any new updates or software were installed?

Cheers,

Gary

I would also like you to disable the touchpad just to be sure it isn't affecting the cursor even though you are not using it. Here is a web page describing how to do that. Will you please do this first and tell me what happens?

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Keyboards-Touchpads-Knowledge/How-do-I-enable-or-disable-my-touchpad/ta-p/447265

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
changed setting for mouse to long delay - disabled the touch pad and that seems to have corrected the curser from trailing with the wireless mouse but what do I do when I use the touch pad? Is something defective on it or that's just how this laptop works?

Does the mouse jump around when you are actually using the touchpad, or just when typing? If it is just when typing, then there's not a whole lot you can do other than experimenting with mouse settings in both locations I mentioned. Have you changed settings in both locations (Windows settings, and the device settings by right clicking on the mouse in device manager and selecting Properties)?

Gary