Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

I am trying to burn some cds on my dell inspiron 6000 with

Customer Question

I am trying to burn some cds on my dell inspiron 6000 with windows 7. what I have is a cd buddy let me borrow with about a 1000 songs on it. some how I was able to burn one cd successfully with 16 songs and haven't been able to get the rest to burn. also if possible would like to be able to play them on an a stock car cd player. want the best possible recording I can get with this system the cds I presently have are cd-r but will buy which ever I need pls help this has been very frustrating for me and I know it cant be as difficult thanks
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Tim Graham replied 1 year ago.

When burning CDs, you typically have two options available - an MP3 CD and a standard WAV CD. The MP3 CDs can hold hundreds of songs and can be played on most aftermarket radios and some factory radios on newer cars (these radios will usually have an "MP3" symbol printed on them somewhere). The standard WAV CD can only hold 13-16 songs but can be read by most factory stock CD players, but not all of them.

It sounds like you're doing things correctly for the most part. CD-R is the correct type of CD to use. Just make sure when you burn the CD that you're choosing the option for a standard CD in whatever software you're using. You'll know you've got it right if you can only fit about 16 songs onto the CD.

Expert:  Tim Graham replied 1 year ago.

If you have any specific questions on the process, feel free to ask and I'll help as best I can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will do my best to explain my problem . I have a cd with 1,000 songs on it I go to media player load cd its read by computer then. the songs show up on screen I pick one to listen to by clicking on it then a blue dot appears to the left of song then the next, like, five songs down the list also get a blue dot the it says file cant be found

Expert:  Tim Graham replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you're trying to burn songs from CD to CD, which likely won't work. You'll actually need to drag the songs from the 1000 song CD into a folder on your computer, and then burn the new CD using the songs from the folder. What software are you using to make your new CDs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

all i know is what ever came with the dell lab top im in the media player .so after the cd the 1000 song one is loaded to computer then i need to make a file for all the songs.the make a play list. so even though the computer has all the songs i have to make a file is what your saying ? i will try that . before the songs are on the play list but just wont play if i remimber right once it said there was no time on the file to create the play list to fit to the cd in which i was going to burn and so thats were the file should solve this problem correct

Expert:  Tim Graham replied 1 year ago.

Okay, it sounds like you're using Windows media player to burn the CD. And yes, you need to copy the songs you want off of the 1000 song CD onto your computer first, and then burn them onto the new CD.