Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I just installed a samsng harddrive on my computer and its

Customer Question

Customer: I just installed a samsng harddrive on my computer and its asking me to reboot and select proper boot I have my windows 7 disk in
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: its not letting me past the boot screen I'm trying to put windows seven on my computer after changing my harddrive
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Laptop technicians generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Do you have your Windows 7 installation DVD?

If yes, please do the following:

1. Reboot the computer by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del if it is already turned on. If not, simply turn it ON
  2. When booting, press and keep tapping F8
  3. If you are prompted to select the boot drive, select your CD/DVD drive in the list
  4. Then see if the Windows 7 installer kicks in

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It didn't work I'm requesting jess again to answer my question further
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for writing back. Can you please elaborate your response? What wasn't working? The pressing of F8? Did you get the prompt for the boot drive or boot device?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it was still telling me to boot it I uninstalled it and now I have I as a external drive and my computer don't want to recognize it
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

I am very sorry about your issues. Can you please tell me what happened when you followed the procedures I gave you? Were you able to see the prompt to select for the boot device? (Please tell me yes or no)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no it still told me to reboot and install proper boot
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Please try it again. It is a matter of timing. Right before the error message and right after booting the computer up, press and keep tapping the F8 key.

Keep me posted.

Jess

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok ill keep you updated he is trying it external he is trying to get the computer to recognize the drive so he is trying to create a simple volume
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Ok. Also, please make sure that the Windows 7 DVD is a bootable installer and not anything else

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok do you know how to set up a simple drive or do I need to go pay for another question to be answered
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Simple volume
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

what do you mean by that? And what is its need in your situation?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He is trying to set up a simple volume do you know how to set one up
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Since you replaced the HDD with a new one, then your NEW hard disk drive must be detected and initialized by your system without any problem as long as it is connected to the motherboard properly.

Now, since the NEW disk is blank, you need to INSTALL Windows on it to make your computer usable.

This requires a working Windows installation DVD which you mentioned, you already have and it is a Windows 7.

Now, when the computer boots, it normally boots to the HDD. Since the disk is blank, hence you get the error. To fix this error and make your computer usable, you need to set the computer to FIRST boot into the CD/DVD drive so that the installation of Windows 7 will start. This is also why I asked you if the Windows 7 disc is indeed an installer or not. If it is an installer, and your system was set to boot from the DVD, then installation of Windows 7 should start. If it is NOT an installer, even though your system is set to boot from the DVD drive, no installation occurs and you will be getting the error that you have been getting.

Please check and let me know your results so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess