Richard, Laptop Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

I had a powersurge on my MSI laptop CX05. It disabled the

Customer Question

I had a powersurge on my MSI laptop CX05. It disabled the main USB port on the RH side. There ARE 2 other ports on the other side which appear to be slower. How do I get one of the working USB Ports to function like the one that was blown. I keep getting a notice that tells me that I can get it to work faster but don't know how. I also cannot boot up while there are memsticks in the slow USB's
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

The USB ports are hardwired into the Mainboard, there is no way to alter them. But it looks like these are damaged as well, functioning but still damaged, if they're not booting up when memory sticks run or if they're experiencing multiple collisions on the data transfer which results in slowing it down (you cannot just speed up the ports).

One thing you can try is to use a powered USB hub and plug this into the USB port, which then takes the power requirement away from the port so it only has to focus on data transfer as opposed to also supplying power.

Do you have a USB hub with its own power available there?