Richard, Laptop Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

My toshiba laptop has an incorrect login name and is asking

Customer Question

My toshiba laptop has an incorrect login name and is asking for a password ***** I do not know I can not login. How can I reset the laptop?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me please Natalie, which version of windows you are using on the Laptop?

eg: Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, xp?

Thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Windows 8
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Thanks

On the login screen, click on the incorrect name and tell me if you can then select the correct login.

As it appears another account was created.

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can't change the on screen login, it just blinks for the password ***** be entered
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

What do you see when you click on the name, like in this picture?

http://images.techhive.com/images/article/2013/11/1205-select-user-100129045-orig.jpg

And have you ever signed onto this Laptop before?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have logged in before. I entered the initial info when I purchased it but my son changed the log in and he created an acct that he can't remember the password
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just want to reset the laptop if possible. It's brand new
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, then you have two options here which I will list out. As this is security, there is no simple solution, but any of these two options will work, it will just depend on how comfortable you feel doing them.

1)Reinstall the computer. This means you reinstall windows but lose all your data on the computer. It is not ideal, but the easiest way to do this. For this option, on the log in screen, hold down the SHIFT button and with it held down, click the power icon and choose restart. Keep SHIFT held until it has restarted into a menu. Choose Troubleshoot, then Reset my PC. This returns the PC to new, so you can set it up again.

2) Take it to a computer store, have them take out the hard drive and copy out your data to another disk. Then the reinstall can be done and you wont lose your data. Programs you have to install again.

If its new, do the first option then

Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was able to get to the troubleshoot screen but it has my son login name and keeps asking for a password
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

You can bypass this, on the troubleshoot you choose Reset My PC, and it will do the reset.

Your not able to choose this?