Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Trouble shoot, repair, hardware software.
63493917

My Toshiba Satellite A665 S5170 will not power up tried

Customer Question

My Toshiba Satellite A665 S5170 will not power up tried everything dose any one know what capisitor on board i need to replace
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

.

Unfortunately i dont think a SINGLE capacitor is going to do the trick.

.

When MoBo's fail, they usually do so in a cascading effect. As the first componenet fails, it will send out power surges to the connected components and potentially cause them to also fail, which again would cause a surge.

.

Long story short......and as much as i LOVE the fact that you are taking this on.......its not going to work. YOu would have to replace ALL the cap's, and then ALL the POT's, and all the transformers, and torroid coils, and etc etc.

.

Also, while a volt meter is GREAT at detecting elctricity, it can NOT show you the wave FORM.....for THAT you would need an oscilloscope.

.

I am very sorry to bear this news to you......its NOT fixable in a HOME environment, with just a volt meter and a soldering gun.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i thought i could be as easy as on my ACER i fixed it location u58 mosfet si4812bdy 8 leg cmos cost 5$ and took 5min ,with my fluke and my soldring iron ,then an hour put it back together,well i guess then i have a frizby for the range .thanks for your time

I think you got extremely lucky with being able to fix a different Mobo from an Acer computer......as i dont know all the details, or HOW the conclusion was made to replace it.

.

By no means am I downplaying your abilities, and/or your knowledge, all i am saying is that in my experience in TRYING to fix busted Mobo's has ALWAYS ended up in me replacing ALL the components, and with the time spent, and the price paid for parts....i could have replaced the WHOLE Mobo for cheaper, and faster.

.

Its kind of a crap shoot, when a Mobo fails......maybe only 1 component failed....and you can isolate it, and then replace (id say this is about 1 in 1000)

.

Its never happened to me this way....and i have tried to repair about 40 or 50 Mobo's in my days.

.

Anyways......i coudl NOT find any technical specs on THAT particular Mobo, and as such you will have to do the "test and report" method, until you find the culprit, then remove the culprit, and match it up with a replacement.

.

I wish you the best, ***** ***** take a moment to rate my performance, and Happy Holidays