Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

My password laptop running Windows 7 no longer works and I

Customer Question

my password ***** my laptop running Windows 7 no longer works and I can't log on. how can I fix it?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** to verify are you having trouble with the windows log in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The password ***** has been used for the last few months will no longer work. It is my wife's grandmother's laptop and I'm trying to fix it for her. She does not know how to change the password ***** it is unlikely that she did it by accident. I thought that she might have been infected by some type of malware even though she runs McAfee. I scanned the computer with Reg Warrior and there were no malware programs detected. Short of re-formatting the hard drive and re-installing Windows I'm out of ideas as to what it might be.

There is a software you can download and burn that would crack the password ***** well as reset it You may want to give it a try. It's called ophcrack. http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/download.php?type=livecd ​

You want to download and burn the program to disk it should boot upon restart once completed. There are youtube videos on how to use it you want the vista/7 version. Give that a try it should correct the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll give it a try. I'll let you know if it worked or not. It may take a while but I'll send a message when done. Thx!

Your welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its been a few days since you helped me with the laptop I'm trying to fix. I haven't been able to work on it again until this evening and I wanted to let you know that I downloaded the program you recommended however it's not able to help me in that the program is telling me that the file with the password ***** her account cannot be found. I'm not sure what file it is looking for but I'm guessing that the fact that the file can't be found is likely the source of the problem I'm trying to fix. Any ideas on what I should do next? I'll check to see if you've sent me a reply tomorrow afternoon. Thx!