Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

I am trying to help my employee figure out what is wrong

Customer Question

I am trying to help my employee figure out what is wrong with her laptop - it will not get internet access anywhere, so it is not a problem with her internet at home, there must be an internal problem with the laptop.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Courtney. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you today.

Could you please let me know what operating system is on the laptop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know. I can't work this stupid thing - and I don't want to pay a monthly fee for this service. I'm just trying to help her out.
Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

Sure, I understand. There actually isn't a monthly subscription. It can be simply pay per answer and you only pay if you're satisfied with my assistance.

Have you checked to see if the wi-fi has been disabled? There should be a switch or a button that will handle this. If you could let me know what model of laptop it is, I can pinpoint it exactly for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Toshiba satellite. C55t - C5300
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked all over for a "button" since my old laptop was a toshiba, but I could t find one
Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thank you. One moment please while I look at that model.

Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

There should be either a physical switch on the front of the laptop (the side facing you) or it is one of the "F#" keys. I believe it is "F8". The key should have a wireless bar symbol on it to signify which one it is. Do you see either of these?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
F12 ok so when I hit it it goes to "airplane mode" and the. When I hit it again it goes to back to no internet
Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thank you. Down at the bottom right-hand corner, do you see the wireless icon? If so, please right-click on it and select "Troubleshoot Problems". (If you have done this already, please let me know)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did. It says it's resetting the wifi adapter then it says "wifi doesn't have a valid IP configuration" and that it's not fixed
Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

So what we'll want to do now is right-click on Computer (My Computer) and select Properties. Then choose Device Manager.

Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

Locate the wi-fi adapter under Wireless Adapters. Right-click on it and select "Uninstall". Go up to File at the top and select Scan for new hardware.

Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

Computer may also be called "This PC", depending which operating system you're using.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know where my computer is - sorry, I'm a Mac persn and all these screens are killing me. Lol
Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

No problem. It's the same thing for me when I use a Max. :)

Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

MAc* - sorry. If you go to the desktop, you might see the icon called "My Computer", "Computer" or "This PC".

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There isn't :-(
Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then it will be located under the "Start" button, or which may be a simple Windows flag icon at the bottom-left corner. Click on that button and then simply start typing This PC

Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

Windows should automatically give you an option to choose "This PC". When you see it, right-click on it and select Properties.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found it - but no wireless folder.
Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

Try looking for a Network Adapter category

Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

You should find the wireless adapter under Network Adapters. Once you do, right-click on it and select uninstall.
Once you do that, right-click on the Network Adapters category and select "Scan for hardware changes". It should bring the wireless adapter back into the list. After this, try to connect to wi-fi again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's "Bluetooth" "Broadcom", and a bunch of WAN Miniports
Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

As seen in this image of my PC, do you see a screen similar to this one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. They are all what I listed above. Maybe it needs to be added?
Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

I believe you may be at a different screen. After right-clicking on "This PC", you selected "Device Manager" at the top-left area, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks just like yours but when I hit network adapters those on your scre
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
En don't show up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like
Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

Oh ok, my apologies. I misunderstood. You are in the correct place. It is the Broadcom Network Adapter

Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

Right-click on it and select uninstall.

Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for taking the photo. That is very helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok uninstalled
Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Right-click on the Network Adapters category and select "Scan for hardware changes".

Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

You should see the adapter return to the list.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did
Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Please try to connect to wi-fi again and let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I goofed and restarted computer - now it's updating
Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

That's ok. A restart and update is helpful.

Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to report that I do have a meeting to attend at this moment. If you would like to continue troubleshooting afterwards, I'd be happy to continue helping. Otherwise, I can allow another expert to continue with you. Do you have a preference? The meeting should last about 45 minutes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hopefully this will work. Thanks
Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

Hello Courtney. Were we able to fix the issue or does it still persist?